Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone visited Geneva?
  • lunge

Been offered some reasonably cheap flights there so debating a trip. I was wondering what there is to do there and if it is a reasonable city to spend a couple of nights in, it’ll be April if that makes any difference. Sadly I’ll not be able to take a bike or my skis.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I had half a day there last year, it’s a nice city to have a wonder round, there’s a few “attractions” like the water jet in the lake and the flower clock, and there’s quite a few museums too. The one thing I’d have done if I had more time would be a tour of CERN, which I think you need to book in advance. If you’re not into old buildings or museums you might be hard pressed to find enough to do for more than a day or two. They do give out free bikes for up to 4 hours with a small charge beyond that though if you wanted to ride along the shore of the lake.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Spent a half day there in the summer – ermmmm, it’s a bit boring really – I came back and my Wife asked me what I thought of it and the best I could come up with was “the parking is very cheap compared to Britain”

Yes there’s a big jet in the lake – but the lake is quite large, huge in fact so you can’t really get very close to it.

There are some fancy shops, but I can’t stand shopping.

There are some nice buildings, but they’re hidden behind very pretty, but very serious gates – think 20ft high.

I didn’t see much in the way of tourist attractions, I got the impression they’d rather you didn’t visit – we tried to go into a swimming place that’s on the lake you needed to be a member, or at least that’s what I took from the very abrupt women we spoke to.

But the parking, oh the parking was wonderful – subterranean multi-story, perfectly clean, air conditioned with piped in music and glass lifts that went from the car park straight into the street and made you feel vaguely Bond / Bourne like – I parked for 4 hours for 2 Swiss francs, only slight fly in the ointment – I arrived at the exit ramp after not spotting a paying machine anywhere and had to leave my car at the barrier and dive into the machine next too it brandishing Visa, Debit Card, Euros and Sterling – but the machine would only take a card or euros for balances over 10 euros – but the lovely chap who spoke perfect English on the intercom let me off and oddly gave me 10 Swiss Francs – I assume in case I needed to park there again – I’ve still got them.

Not enough to make want another visit though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in / around Geneva as I’ve a friend whio lives in Nyon. have done some silaing races on the lake, walkikng, biking, skiing etc in and around the city

Can’t get close to the lake ? It comes right up to the city and the sailing/yacht club is right next to the City. I can’t post photos any more here but I have plenty sailing up and down in front the the buildings and water jet. If you are remotely interested in boats definitely get over to the SNG (Socieite Nautique Geneve)

@lunge take the tickets but rent a car or take a train/trip out for a day at least so enjoy the hills/mountains. You don’t have to go far as they are everywhere.

April is quite early weather could be fabulous (cold and snowy capped or warm and sunny) or dreary (like the UK although that’s more likely in the autumn).

Lets be fair it’s not a destination city for a typical break and with the Swiss franc having just appreciated 30% today its got more expensive. There are plenty of nice cafe’s/bistros/the lake to enjoy in the City plus boat trips. You could take the train to Nyon – nice little town, boat over to Yvoie – medieval French town stop for lunch and return. You can get the train from Nyon up to St Cergue (and higher) and do some hiking – great view over the lake and to Mont Blanc. Great hiking / view around Col du Jamman up above Montreux if you want to train it that far for the day.

So are you looking for a city break or for activities around – I can get specific recommendations just for the City if you want

P-Jay
    Free Member

@jambalaya I meant the actual Jet, I did manage to dangle my toes in the lake.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ha ha got it ! I did fall in when sailing there so got a bit more of the lake experience than I intended 😳 . The local martime police came out to check we where OK, I still have the broken tiller as a souvenir

jambalaya
    Free Member

@winston, well there is an argument to exchange them now before it moves further

wallop

I didn’t like it. If I was in your position I’d go to Annecy – it’s not far from Geneva.

wl
    Free Member

Lots of better cities to do 2 nights in in Europe if you ask me (Lisbon, Seville), but go if it’s dirt cheap. Mind you, remember to offset the cheap flight with very expensive everything else – around a tenner for a kebab 😯

donald
    Free Member

It’s not an ideal destination for a city break. There’s just not that much to see and do.

If it were me I’d take the bus to Chamonix for a couple of days!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ended up there early for a flight when the slopes were closed for bad weather.

It reminded me of bits of Newcastle from the 80’s……

Perhaps we didn’t find the good bits

jambalaya
    Free Member

Newcastle, New South Wales ? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not that good 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone visited Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.