• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TN.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone using/familiar with Avid Elixir R brakes, please? (not the CR)
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi.

My husband has recently had these fitted on his bike and he's complaining that the front brake feels 'soft'.

The back brake WAS the same, but that turned out to be the alignment of the caliper and once that was resolved he says that feels fine now. The same is not the case with the front.

When the brakes were fitted the cables didn't need cutting so I am wondering if it's 'just' that they need bleeding but before that I was trying to find out if there was any form of pad adjustment. On the CR there is a knob on the lever to adjust them, but there's nothing similar on the R and I can't find anything in the manual about pad adjustment or online.

Is anyone using or familiar with this model that can tell me whether there is such a thing and if so, how?
    If there isn't then I'll get on and bleed them, but I am a bit apprehensive about doing that if I don't need to…

Thanks, in advance.

T

jonb
    Free Member

I assume you've adjusted the reach properly. Other than that I'm no help. Sorry.

TN
    Free Member

Sorry, yes. I forgot to say we have messed with the reach adjustment on the brake lever, but that didn't really help, it just moved the 'softness' further forward/backwards.

Also, apologies if this all sounds dead basic – I am just getting going with the bike maintenance so I am afraid I am currently relying on my big Zinn book and the experience of others and you've got to start somewhere, I guess…

Wookster

hi I've got the r's on my bike and the lever wemt really soft almost to the bar a realy good bleed later and sorted!!

I will say though they (and I've had a squeez of a few peoples now! 8O!) dont ever stop dead like say hpoie m4's or the older xts. tey will always have a bit of flex in the leaver. but I dont reaolly notice when rideing as its past the lock up stage of the lever really good brakes though.

I'll add my LBs did the second bleed for free for me as they fitted them on the bike so might be worth an ask!!

retro83
    Free Member

sounds like they need to be bled to me

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, bleed them. Virtually never come across an Avid that doesn't benefit from a bleed, even straight out of the box.

TN
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I feel quite reassured that they just need a good bleed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using/familiar with Avid Elixir R brakes, please? (not the CR)’ is closed to new replies.