Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone using phd minimus jacket or vest?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

everyone seems to say good things about them but anyone using one? how do you find it in damp weather? good cut? robust?

opinions welcomed, ta

(btw i think id still rather go for down than synthetic despite all the merits of the latter)

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, the vest in Dry whatsit. Brilliant, use it mainly when camping. Both around the tent and to augment my bag on colder nights. Less than 1L in volume!

Great bit of kit though like anything down, don’t get it too wet…

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah the wet issue prompted me to ask about such things http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/waterproof-down-jackets

id love a rab batura but know someone who has one and pretty overkill for anything id need it for sadly

im also trying to find ‘real’ pics of the phd stuff to see what it’s like rather than the product shots from the website

aP
    Free Member

Ive had a vest for about 3 years. Quite lightweight but enough warmth for me.
    They will do them with a different outer fabric if you want.
    There’s a bit if a sale on at the moment.

boblo
    Free Member

PHD stuff is fantastic. I have a Minimus 300 spleeping bag for summer backpacking and a Hispar 500 (I’m now minus a kidney) for extended 3 season plus the vest.

I used to by Mountain Equipment down gear before they went all mountain fashion, I fear Rab are going the same way….

julesf7
    Free Member

Yes, I have both and swear by them. I used to have a Rab Batura, perfect when visiting Siberia in winter but complete overkill for anything else. The best bit about PhD, apart from the sheer quality and excellent fill loft, is that they were willing to sew XL sleeves onto a L body for me for only about £15 extra. I now have a down jacket that is close enough across the body but long enough on the sleeves… bliss :D. The vest comes with me on pretty much any camping jaunt, pocket size insulation

fontmoss
    Free Member

had a look at the sale but not much in a med 🙁

although there is a vest, albeit it M1 rather than drishell

EDIT: guys would a vest sit under a (bike) goretex shell ok? can’t see phd in the flesh which is annoying

boblo
    Free Member

Bike waterproofs tend to be a bit slim cut and that might stop the vest lofting fully. I’d also be concerned about condensation forming between the GTX and the vest outer. Can’t imagine where/what you’re doing to need a down vest whilst moving? I’ve only used down gear whilst working at altitude or somewhere really cold…

fontmoss
    Free Member

it wasn’t for when I was moving just thinking aloud about adapting what i have but yeah doesn’t look like it’ll work. Looking at full zip jackets then

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘anyone using phd minimus jacket or vest?’ is closed to new replies.