Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone using hydraulic brakes as Cross Tops on their CX bikes
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

I rarely brake on the drops, so thinking a hydraulic brake would beat cable breaks. Certainly up front. Mind you I was glad of the lack of hydraulic fluid boiling on a recent 1 hour descent in the Pico Mountains.

I’m getting my On One Dirty Disco ready for the 3 Peaks CX next month.

firestarter
    Free Member

What a strange idea. Altho I like the sissy levers when doing proper offroad as an option I couldn’t imagine doing rough decents with the only brake option being on top of the bars.

Unless you opt for the hope contraption to use both

Sam

The handlebar clamp will be the wrong diameter.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Tryit sometime. on the real rough stuff cross tops are a real advantage. No advantage if you are doing tame stuff that doesn’t require you to shift your weight much.

Don’t be put off by folk calling them sissy bars. They don’t know what they are talking about when it comes to the rough stuff.

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh I know the advantages up in the dales but I couldn’t see using them as an only brake option

mattsccm
    Free Member

As mentioned they won’t fit. Different bar sizes. I filed a set out with the view to running them with cables as well from normal levers.
    I think you will find that you lack control. The drops are always going to be better for control on rough ground as the tops are dead narrow.

scotroutes

This. There’s a very good reason we don’t ride MTBs with ludicrously narrow bars these days.

AlexSimon

This. There’s a very good reason we don’t ride MTBs with ludicrously narrow bars these days.

Yes, but you could say that about just about every part of a CX bike 🙂

I would say that there would be too much time swapping your hands over while on the road and come across something unexpected.
    Also – fast road descents will feel weird, either on the tops, or lacking brakes!

crazy-legs

I run a Hope V-Twin converter.

Got Ultegra 10sp STI levers running cables through a set of Specialized own-brand bar-top levers and from there to the under-stem converter. Works well but it has to be said the brakes feel horrible – very wooden. It’s due to the massive extra friction with that routing through the bar-tops and the very short, tight curve from them to the converter.

After the Three Peaks I’ll probably remove them. That said, they’re very good not just for the extra control on descents but also as a braking option when just pootling along on canal towpaths etc.

I think you will find that you lack control. The drops are always going to be better for control on rough ground as the tops are dead narrow.

Yes but factor in the need to get your weight back when doing steep rocky descents – being in the drops just makes it more likely you’ll go over the bars. Bit of a balancing act between braking efficiency and control.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m getting my On One Dirty Disco ready for the 3 Peaks CX next month.

Bear in mind you can’t ride flat bars on the 3peaks…

Spin
    Free Member

on the real rough stuff cross tops are a real advantage. No advantage if you are doing tame stuff that doesn’t require you to shift your weight much.

Don’t be put off by folk calling them sissy bars. They don’t know what they are talking about when it comes to the rough stuff

How odd. I ride a lot of rough stuff on my crosser and can’t see any advantage to braking on the tops. Far too narrow as others have pointed out.

firestarter
    Free Member

How odd. I ride a lot of rough stuff on my crosser and can’t see any advantage to braking on the tops. Far too narrow as others have pointed out.

Big steep rocky drops are no fun in drops or hoods imho. The levers look awful but have their place depending on use. But cant see how you could use them on their own. Id have thought it at best very awkward at worst dangerous

Nick dirty disco has drops 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Well I presume he wasnt meaning putting mtb bars and hydros on a cx. Thats just a 29er with skinny tyres lol

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Teetosugars – I’m keeping the drop bars and changing gear on STIs. I know how they like to preserve the CX look and keep out those ruffian MTB types.

crazy-legs – I’m not prepared to pay for Hope V-Twin converter at the moment. Totally agree about over the bars.

firestarter
    Free Member

There was a 2nd hand hope converter in classifieds the other day mate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using hydraulic brakes as Cross Tops on their CX bikes’ is closed to new replies.