Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone using Buffalo clothing on the bike?
  • RustySpanner

Had a Buffalo shirt years ago, loved it but it’s long gone now.

Quite fancy another one for MTBing and general outdoorsy stuff, but they make more than two styles now!

So, still using one?
    If so, which and in what conditions?

Ta in advance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Active shirt

For commuting when it gets down below -10

Or for pottering around in the garage – its my go to jacket/jumper in the winter – its windy up here and it cuts through fleece like a hot knife through butter so the pertex really does help

RustySpanner

Thought they might be a bit warm on the bike.

Possibly the Active Light or Teclite versions then.

qwerty
    Free Member

Great bit of kit, i have a mountain shirt, only to be worn on the bike in well sub zero temps, great for outdoor work mid winter and fettling in the garage.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Boil. Great when it’s sub zero. Looks terrible though.

TooTall
    Free Member

Get a Montane Extreme Jacket. A better, more modern verion of the Buffalo and I’ve used both. Better than the Montane Extreme Smock (which I also have), easier to ventilate and wear and just shrugs off the cold. Only to be worn riding when properly freezing and only over a wicking base layer.

ontor
    Free Member

I use the active light in the winter, great when it’s sopping wet and cold. Quite often use my windshirt too as it’s light enough to pack down easily and it’s damn-near invincible.

warpcow
    Free Member

My old Mountain Shirt only gets used very occasionally on the bike in deepest winter. It’s too warm otherwise. It is good for more general stuff though (it’s my go-to jacket for long winter dog walks), like trail rat said.

sleepless
    Free Member

its to hot for on my bike. I use it for around camp in winter. It’s to hot for running in too.

ontor
    Free Member

the important bit about buffalo is that you’ll be soaked but still warm.

dazh

My Buffalo mountain shirt is the single best bit of outdoor clothing I’ve ever had. 10 years old now and still going strong. Too hot for the bike though as others have said unless it’s well below zero. Perfect for winter walking, climbing and general hanging about in sh*tty and cold weather.

jameso

The belay jacket is thinner than the others they do, good jacket. Montane pertex/pile kit is good too, better cut and design than buffalo imo. I love their extreme jacket but its rarely cold enough to wear it for riding.

somouk
    Free Member

I used to use a Buffalo when I stopped to keep warm or when the temp was well below 0. Far too warm for use in any other conditions.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Used my Buffalo Special 6 shirt in 3 foot snow with no baselayer cutting wind and minus temps and even with side zips fully open was too hot. Guess thats why they came out with the Techlite Cycle jacket. I personally love and use a Rab Generator smock, pertex shell and primaloft filled so stays warm even if wetted out. Worn with a base layer its good for static -14C and wind chill of riding on top!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Windshirt user here. Had the same one since….I dunno, 1994 maybe…

img007 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Couple of years ago but on the wrong bike…

Evans sportive by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Wore it last Monday too, got soaked as It’s not even spit proof. Toatally windproof & breathable though.

RustySpanner

Cheers all.

I’ll look at the Cycle Shirt, Teclite and Activelite shirts.
    Will have a look at the Montane stuff too, thank you.

I think it was a Mountain Shirt I had years ago – I remember I liked it, but not much else about it, tbh. 🙂
    Do seem to remember it only got used in winter.

Cowman

The active shirt is one of the, if not the, most used bit of kit I own. Good for running cycling, hiking, and loafing around.

Ill replace mine the second it goes. Only bit of kit I’ve ever written to the manufacturers to say how much I thought of it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Montane windproof, It’s more water resistant than the Buffalo but nowhere near as breathable.

marka.
    Free Member

My Teclite is great from late autumn to early spring. Too hot otherwise, so don’t even think about Mountain Shirts and the like.

(I barely even wear my Mountain Shirt even when walking up Scottish mountains in winter, as it’s still very warm.)

discoduck
    Free Member

Me too for Mountain shirt, I’ve worn these in the arctic for several winters and they are great bits of kit, a bit too thermal for biking tho ? Have you looked at some of the Paramo stuff ?
    Equally as good if not a bit better suited to biking as some or most of their kit has scalloped back hems to keep ya bum warm ?

I keep mine the back of my Landy just in case I have to go stand on a hard shoulder ???????

nick1962
    Free Member
    avdave2

TooTall how is the sizing on the Montane Extreme? I should be a small but I’ve a Montane Featherlite but had to go for a medium as the small was just a little too tight across the shoulders on the bike. The jacket isn’t for the bike it’s for the Sunday standing watching my son play football while I get hypothermia days!

karnali thanks for the link that looks like a good deal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using Buffalo clothing on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.