Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone using a Tricross for off-road duties?
  • devash
    Free Member

As the nights are getting lighter and due to lack of funding for a new hardtail I’m thinking of upgrading my 2011 Specialized Tricross to use for after dinner XC trips round the local trails.

At the moment the bike has a fairly basic commuter-type spec: Shimano 2300 triple components, stock wheels and Borough XC tyres which are more road / dirt path tyres.

The frame is a non-disc frame although I have purchased some Mini-V brakes. In all fairness though the stock canti brakes with Kool Stop pads are quite good as long as you keep on top of them.

I’m thinking new, sturdier wheels, proper off-road tyres and upgraded groupset (Tiagra or 105) but I’d love to hear if anyone else is using one of these bikes as an off-roader and if so what kind of setup you are running.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by off road. Ability is mostly determined by tyre volume. Won’t get close to a hard tail.

r3rd
    Free Member

I use my Tricross on local trails, fast rooty stuff and a few small drops, works a treat as a change from the MTB. Put some proper cross tyres on (planet x are cheap), used the standard wheels. Leave the brakes the same (makes it more fun 🙂 and I put an MTB 11-34 cassette on with an XT rear mech to go with the 10spd 105 shifters. If you’re running 10sp shifter, make sure you put a 9sp XT rear mech (the 10sp Dynasys won’t work).

Strava KOM’s yours for the taking…..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I used the singlespeed version in standard form a good few years ago. As per above, fit the fattest tyres you can, as you need to choose your lines a lot more offroad – otherwise its just jarring and generally unpleasant. Mine already had mini-V’s and it was fine.

Doesn’t need sturdier wheels, cos you won’t be able to give it the hammer that a hardtail with suspension would get.

kirk92
    Free Member

I think it depends what sort of terrain you’re planning to ride. I do almost all my riding on my singlespeed tricross and absolutely love it but that’s near Winchester so South Downs, bridleways and short sections of singletrack with road sections in between. Not sure it would be much fun on rocks, roots big hills, drops etc I have set up my tyres tubeless which I think is worth every bit of the hassle as I’ve ridden past loads of freshly cut hedges, and over flints steps, roots but not stopped all winter for a flat tyre also means you don’t have to run really high pressures to avoid pinch flats. I’m just using standard rims with specialized blue tape and stans valves and sealant, tyres are vittoria usually cheap on Planet X.

karnali
    Free Member

Used to ride my as version off road a bit inthe local forests. Have sent an email re some group sets.

globalti
    Free Member

I have a Tricross disc, which I’ve tried off road a few times. On a mountain bike club night ride it was faster on the climbs and on the flat than the MTBs but hopeless on rocky downhills. With standard tyres it cuts pretty well through crud and holds a good line thanks to the long chassis and slow steering. It’s also very stable on hard packed snow. However it’s too heavy and sluggish on the road so this year I’m going to try to sort out a better all-purpose winter trainer. Currently I’m fantasising about a Cannondale Synapse disc with the new Shimano hydraulic/mechanical shifters and some skinny mudguards.

My son has a basic Tricross with canti brakes, which juddered horribly so we changed the stem-mounted brake cable thingy for one mounted on the fork, which solved the problem. Both Tricrosses are excellent on easy off road stuff like towpaths and BWs and good loaded up with rack and panniers so we plan to use them for the C2C in August.

Garry_Lager

Just retired my tricross, took it out plenty on the trails. Had a touring wheelset on it and a disk fork [more because i used to take my son to nursery on the back of it]. Great on anything smooth-ish – [it rules on the smooth stuff that gets laid down at a lot of trail centres], not so great over the rocks but still worth taking out now and again for a change of pace.
    Used to expect a ton of punctures, but never had a particular problem with them. I think like mtbtomo says you’re never caning it on rocky descents so the wheels stand up fine.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Methinks you are worrying too much.
    It is an off road bike and ready to go as standard.
    My SS had years of abuse. Might draw the line at big air but that’s me.
    Tart it up as you fancy.

rp16v
    Free Member

Us be surprised what these things can take I ride all the local trails I would have on a xc bike granted the spikey rocky sections arnt fun but the drops roots techy climbs and tables/doubles are all fine and doable I have a older canti tricross and run mini v’s and 38c tyres slightly shorter stem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Tricross for off-road duties?’ is closed to new replies.