Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone using a Montane eVent jacket?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looking to replace my jacket and am a huge fan of eVent, so it’s got to be that fabric. Montane look pretty damned good and having had a Montane pertex gilet for a while, I’m very impressed with their quality. Wondering if anyone uses one of their jackets. Any feedback?

BadlyWiredDog

Stormrider, fit too loose, but it depends how much of a fat biffer you are I guess.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Hi, have a Montane Superfly XT jacket – not a bike jacket but a mountaineering Jacket. It has eVent material, really good, well designed, made and quite happy with it. Cant comment on the bike wear but mountaineering stuff is good.

BadlyWiredDog

Okay, a slightly more detailed answer. Generally good quality kit, their cycling-specific clothing works fine on a mountain bike in my experience, but the fit is too loose for efficient wear on the road and if you want to use it for road ridingm, I’d look elsewhere for a snugger cut top. I’m a pretty standard, athletic medium, kind of 40″ chest, 31″ waist and the thing just hangs off me. The basic design is good though and the pockets and rear pockets give you venting options.

Their outdoor stuff is generally good. Unfortunately they’ve canned the Quickfire which was their minimalist eVent all-round waterproof that worked well on and off the bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Montane E-vent softshell (Off ebay, £53!) which is a superb bit of kit. Cold weather only really due to the lining, but when it’s warm there’s no problem getting wet, is there?
    🙂

epicyclo

Isn’t Pertex the same material?

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t Pertex the same material?

No, Pertex is a closely woven microfibre, originally used for parachutes whereas eVent is an expanded PTFE membrane that’s completely waterproof and very breathable. Pertex is basically windproof only.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, got an eVent Superfly.

Not a specific bikey jacket but does a good job and stuffs into a backpack relatively easy.

Very well made and the eVent works like a dream.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pertex is basically windproof only.

Thats true, but pertex and its clones can be made reasonably waterproof with some wash in DWR and with the right layering can be pretty versatile.

I have a Montane storm rider that, in contrast to BWD, I find a perfect fit, including the long arms and very dropped tail. I also have a Berghaus ‘airfoil’ pertex clone. The Stormrider is built really well but is pretty minimalist. It doesn’t have many pockets or a hood. Works like you’d expect EVent to.

I use the Berghaus for 95% of the year since with a decent dose of wash in DWR its good for everything except the heaviest rain. It also breathes FAR better than even eVent, and if I do get wet, it dries (and helps me to dry) in a pretty short period of time.

For proper wet days though, the Stormrider goes on. I know its event, but it still feels like wearing a plastic bag in comparison to the Berghaus, and still builds up condensation anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Montane eVent jacket?’ is closed to new replies.