Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone using a clutch mech/normal chainring/no guide?
  • stevied
    Free Member

So I’m waiting for my RF narrow/wide chainring to arrive but it hasn’t arrived in time for tonight’s ride.
    I’m itching to ditch the front mech/shifter etc so:
    Does anyone ride with with a clutch mech/normal ring and no guide?
    There’s nothing really rough on our normal ride so would I get away with it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes (2×10) as the old guide won’t fir properly. 90% fine dropped chain a couple of times. Jury will return after Rotorua uplift for 4 days.

cazum
    Free Member

i dont know if it helps but i run a 2 x 10 setup with a slx clutch rear normally am in the big ring it never drops with the clutch on, its never dropped in the granny either tbh with the clutch on and those are both normal chainrings so i would say you would be fine!

hopefully any of that helps!

simonbea
    Free Member

I’ve been collecting 1×10 stuff for a while and decided to install it all yesterday for today’s ride before my new thick/thin chainring has arrived. I’m however leaving my front mech in place for the time being just in case. I’ve removed the shifter and cables and just screwed the mech into place.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve been fine. Running my chumba with xt long cage clutch and it has yet to drop a chain. I’m not a smooth rider either. My 2×10 setup on the kona has also been faultless.

I’d say just go for it. It’s worth testing it out for your setup. Worst comes to worst its east to put back on the chainring.

stevied
    Free Member

Cool, thanks guys…let the stripping begin 🙂

Northwind

I did briefly, after I broke my homemade guide. SLX clutch and Renthal ring (er, probably, might have been an E13 guidering) Didn’t work at all tbh, fell off constantly.

Grump
    Free Member

I did briefly as I wanted to sell the chainrings & shifters as unused from my new bike, but the thick thin hadn’t arrived.
    Worked ok (XT clutch), only fell off a couple times (Loriaz loop near Chamonix and a day in the Grand Massif) not too annoying really and much better than without a clutch mech. Since getting the works components thick thin I’ve not lost the chain though, no guide or nuffink. Amazing really.
    On a related note, anyone interested in an unused 36 & 24 tooth Race face turbine chainrings, XT LH shifter and SLX front deurallieur…

mangatank
    Free Member

Just back from a very quick blast long the moores, trying to sort out my slipping Thomson Elite seatpost. I digress. Anyway, on the way back….

…the route back takes in a steep set of steps, and I’ve noticed that with my SLX clutch mech engaged (as it always is), the chain jumps from the small rear sprocket and jams in between the cassette and the frame when descending them. Every time.

The shifting is absolutely perfect, and it can take a slamming at Glentress Black without complaint.

Very odd.

covertbaz
    Free Member

Running a 1×10 setup with an XTR clutch mech, e13 chainring and no guide, not dropped a chain yet

icarus
    Free Member

I have run like this for a while now,Zee clutch mech,Middleburn ring,10 spd.11.36 cassette and i have never dropped the chain,riding mostly at Cannock and local trails.

mcnultycop

G ring and Zee mech on my HT. Never dropped the chain once.

stevied
    Free Member

Last night’s trial ride was a complete success 🙂 Ride included the ’99 steps’ and some fairly rocky downhill stuff and not a single drop.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a clutch mech/normal chainring/no guide?’ is closed to new replies.