• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Anyone used Vibram Fivefingers?
  • spacemonkey

A fair spectrum of opinions there guys. Don’t think I’ll be rushing in just yet – even though the positives are sound as are many reviews on the likes of Wiggle

As much as I like “barefooting” it, I don’t see myself getting on with that technique on the trails – especially if the padding and support isn’t there.

Will pop into a couple of running shops I know and see what have to add.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I guess it depends on whether you are a relative short distance runner (like me) or a longer distance runner who is converting to barefoot. I suspect the latter is tougher as the feet have a lot of catching up to do on the legs.

BadlyWiredDog

Why are they called FiveFingers and not FiveToes? I would never trust anyone who can’t tell the difference between fingers and toes. Call me fussy etc.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I agree with all those who have said the transition can take time. I do 2/3 of my runs barefoot and the others in standard VFF. I would do them all barefoot but the paths I run on are rough and spiky and the time off helps recovery.

The VFF are superb for me, you have to adjust your style obviously but i have found it lessens impacts. You can feel the ground beneath your foot but barely more than in a pair of spongies. The separate toes is to encourage the foot to spread and distribute your weight more evenly.

I am not a lightweight either, 108Kg, so they should be fine for everyone. If you get excessive calf pain it could be that you are too far up on your toes, I have tried to land on my forefoot marginally before allowing the rest of the mid-foot and heel to touchdown. I know when I’m knackered and losing form as I will occasionally clunk my heels.

Matt

redfordrider
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – apparently there is an Italian word that describes both toes and fingers, hence the VFF and not VFToes.

BadlyWiredDog

Trailgloves? Is there an American word which desribes both shoes and gloves… But cheers for that, isn’t language great 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

And more usefully maybe, I find barefoot shoes – I’ve used Fivefingers/toes and the Merrell ones – fine on even surfaces, but problematic running off-road on rocky stuff, particularly descending, due to the lack of any impact protection plate. As a result I’ve considered switching to these – the anti-barefoot, sort of…

See: http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/catalog.html

IanMunro
    Free Member

Te he, I recognise the wear in those 195s Ian. I really hope Inov bring out a wide X-Talon. That would be Blummin Brilliant.

Yup, that would be great!
    They’re bringing out trailrocs midsummer which are meant to be wider, but don’t look like they’ll be quite as gripper as talons though.
    In the meanwhile I might have to get the duct tape out 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

1. destoying the natural fat in forfoot, and heel, that works as cushioning.
    2. no support whatsoever, if you pronate.
    3. high risk of getting a achilles heel.

I don’t “get” any of these problems. The fat in your feet was designed to cushion your movements, why would it be damaged by using it for the task it was designed for?
    As for risks of injury etc, only if you launch into their use as you would normally with your super-cushioning, super supportive trainers as these no longer give you that helping hand. However I suspect at the end of it you’re less likely to hurt yourself as you’ll have built muscles and structures more capable of stabilising your feet/legs.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I get paid to run. Barefoot-chi-Pose has been a revelation over the last two years. At 38 I’m finally injury free and running faster than ever. I seriously regret not taking it up decades ago.

The key technique is to take shorter, but quicker strides – 180/min is good. This way your calves are able to work more efficiently and hurt less.

I use Innov8 Baregrip 200 shoes for fell running and XC, Newtons on the road, VVF lace-ups for interval and treadmill stuff. However, most minimalist footwear is still too narrow for a perfect fit.

seanoc
    Free Member

Inov8 X-talons are the best off road running shoes ever, closely followed by NB 110’s (£35) and Baregrips.

I’d advise an intermediate shoe first- there’s loads out there. Kinvara’s (4mm drop) are supposed to be awsone and can be had cheap (let down by longitivity), Nike Free 3.0’s will give you about 500miles in my experience so worth the £70 (I’m on my third pair).

You don’t need to spend a fortune (or look like an ape) to give it a whirl. Most people would have spent more on a sh@ pair of tyres.

motivforz
    Free Member

Will qualify my ‘cheap’ pair. There are loads of cheaper fakes available and you have to be careful about where you buy vibrams from, so many fakes and some really good copies available. I bought from a known retailer so I knew I was getting the real deal, I suggest anyone else does the same.

If I was buying more pairs I’d probably go for some cheaper barefoot style ones, but I do love the cushyness around my toes!

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of vibrams, they’re rubbish for cycling.

Kev

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used Vibram Fivefingers?’ is closed to new replies.