Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone used vernon baker the frame builder before i need feedback
  • cannondaleking
    Free Member

as im looking to get my old orange prestiage updated a little he’s offered a really bloody price for the work better than others iv’e ask by a far but iv’e only heard from one guy thats used him and thats it so has anyone used this guy for frame repairs or ordered one of his frames how did it turn out was it a good job/frame any feedback is good at mo here’s his site http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/index.htm

any pics you have would be really helpful

thepodge
    Free Member

I know a few people that have had stuff done and liked it but one forum member on here hates him.

bedmaker

I couldn’t trust someone who lovingly handbuilt a frame then did this to it – for sale on his site.

I can’t decide between the chainset, the seat or the handlebars

Jason
    Free Member

I had a cracked Ti frame repaired by Vernon. A titanium Inbred that cracked on the seat tube/top tube junction. He did a pretty good job, given that Ti isn’t easy to weld, a picture here : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/JasonR/Bikes/Tinbred/PICT3914.jpg

Six months or so after it was repaired I sold the frame, since then it has cracked on the other side too. The new owner has had it repaired by Vernon again. I think I paid about £30 or so for the repair, which was a bargain compared to other titanium welders.

Depending on what you are planning on doing I would be tempted to send the frame to someone like Argos who can do the work and respary too.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

the respray for me is the easy bit local friend with airbrush is taking care of that (think old mountain goat airbrushed look) im looking to have

1. new 11/8th headtube fitted (as its 1″ at mo)
    2. disc tab and brace
    3. 5x hose guides along the top tube and seat stay
    4. the canti hanger and canti studs removed

but as i said the finished paint job will be something special the rims and forks will be matching pos stem too depending on stem

i heard good things about his work but but cant understand how he is so inexpensive it rings alarm bells for me

kcr
    Free Member

Repaired a titanium frame with a cracked weld for me, and did a good job on it.

thepodge
    Free Member

he’s cheap because he’s retired and only does it now for a bit of fun & beer funds. he doesn’t need to make money as he already owns all his gear and workshop.

having said that, the amount of work you want done, wouldn’t you be better off with a whole new frame built to the same geom as your old one?

simon1975

Vernon tidied up a steel frame for me in 2009 including adding some new braze-ons. He also made a gusset plate to cover a crack in the downtube which was all very neat. His respray was tidy too, but the paint was very easily scratched and chipped. Unfortunately the headtube then cracked on me a year later – not sure if that was partly due to the added gusset…

DSC01128

cannondaleking
    Free Member

after a lot of thought im gonna go with enigma the quote was a little more only £150 for the work i want doing cheaper than a new frame and i like my old orange its got loads of memorys attached to it of bombing round thetford so for £150 to keep her going with some modern parts im happy with that plus my mates doing the paint scheme so its gonna be the nutts 8)

thepodge
    Free Member

ever heard of a full stop?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used vernon baker the frame builder before i need feedback’ is closed to new replies.