Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone used Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tyres?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Are they any good?

Thanks

J

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes.

Yes.

Rubbish in sloppy mud or snow though, so for the UK they’re a 3-weeks-of-the-year tyre…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d agree with ir_bandito. Like them a lot on the back, but not tried them on the front.
    Nice and predictable in most conditions apart from the sloppy stuff!

joolsburger
    Free Member

If anyone is interested Evans have them half price right now £19 quid each 2.35 folding. They’ll do me for the Alps I reckon – As long as it doesn’t rain.

t_i_m
    Free Member

i like them in the summer.
    roll and grip well.
    Total rubbish in mud.
    the soft compound one is great on rocks in the summer.
    They’re ok in the wet (surface water and dampness), its just mud that kills them as they dont shed it at all well.

joolsburger – not sure about using them for the alps if you’re going lift assisted. Rampages are guite light/flimsy, so you’ll need to run them at reasonably high pressures to stop them pinching. I’d def go for DH tyres (with DH tube, of course) if you can.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My experience was exactly what t_i_m said, especially with the soft compound on the front.

I wouldn’t even think about them for the Alps as they are just too flimsy and prone to pinch flats

joolsburger
    Free Member

Scheisse.

I’m getting annoyed now. I know about pinch flats out there, I ruined a morning of mine once, I ran out of tubes and patches.

Thing is I don’t want to shell out for tyres I’m only going to use there. I really might just stick with the verticals and heavy tubes I know them and they work OK not the best but then nor am I.

D0NK

I wouldn’t say they were flimsy per se but a bit light for alpine abuse.

I like em, got one on my FSer which I don’t use when it’s really wet but I’ve not suffered when I have ridden over a bit of mud. Weirdly they seem better in mud than the very similar nev 2.35. Not a winter tyre tho.

Think I have the posh ZSG (or something) sticky compound version no idea how the standard compound work.

Edit if you are doing lift assisted I’d recommend maxxis minion double wall tyres with sealent. I’ve not flatted one yet and my riding “style”* eats DH tubes for breakfast.

*Floating the front but slamming the back wheel into everything

mtbfix

I have a pair of the stickies for trail ctr jaunts. Very predictable tyres but, as mentioned above, prone to pinching so I have to run them higher than I might otherwise like. 35psi round CyB led to repeated pinches out back.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im 16st and dont tend to pinch flat on my Rampages. Thing is you don’t need to run them soft anyway.

flyingmonkeycorps

My experience in the Alps was that pinch flats weren’t *that* prevalent, as a lot of the tracks aren’t particularly rocky. Single ply tyres with DH tubes should be fine, I’d have thought – I’ll be running dual plys with normal tubes.

I am used to ragging a hardtail around the Peak though, so I guess I’ve got quite smooth to avoid pinch flats. Apart from the one ride where I had 9.

Del

yes i’ve used them, no i don’t think they’re all that. spin up on the back in the cold/wet on the road climb to my local trails, fragile.

MrTall
    Free Member

I had the 29er version and they were the only tyre i’ve ever sold on as i hated them. No confidence in them at all and i usually can’t tell the difference between any of my tyres.

stcolin
    Free Member

Can echo a lot of the comments above. Ran them for a recent XC race, but had them straight back off again on the local slippy trails. The only tire I pinch flat on a lot. I have the SC version.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

But, being Panaracer, they have a nice loose bead, so if you do pinch flat, they’re dead easy to fix 🙂

MartynS

use them all year round up here in the Peak. Personally havn’t found anything better. I might give some Maxxis a try, but everytime I’ve tried something else I always seem to come back to panaracers
    Buy some, try them and if you don’t like I’ll buy them off you!!

t_i_m
    Free Member

Thing is you don’t need to run them soft anyway.

Admittedly, you can run them at higher pressures for alpine riding but the bike will feel a little skittery and you’ll have to back off a bit.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

After last night’s sloppy midsummer ride, I can confirm, they’re rubbish on mud 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

I think they’re slow rolling tbh and unremarkable and hard. I’d rather use Ardents or Minion DHFs. Martyn, I think I have a couple lying around that you’re welcome to in exchange for cake…

kaiser
    Free Member

currently £36 pair incl tubes at merlin on VIP.

Diane
    Free Member

Oh thank goodness 😀 I tried to ride one of the off camber Inners enduro routes in thick mud with these and just couldn’t! Thought I was just a naff rider 😉 Can’t be arsed with changing stuff all the time though so I think I’ll try for a more all round tyre.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tyres?’ is closed to new replies.