Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone used Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes?
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am thinking about getting some new brakes and like the look of the Avid Elixirs. I already have some Juicy Carbons that I like so thought it would be good to get Avids again so that pads, bleed kit are shared.

Anyone used these? Your views on them?

Thanks

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Awesome, better than my Juicy 7's, and with lots more power. Look cool as well, and stainless hardware, so less cosmetic issues in later life. If you've got the cash they're well worth it.

On a lesser note, Merlin are doing Elixir R's for £160 a pair, and theyre not much different.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Funnily enough I was riding with a guy last weekend. A Spanish guy who raced DH in the 90's and competed around the world so he could ride a bit. He had the Elixir CR's and I'd commented that I had thought about a pair but went for Codes in the end because then they were the same on both bikes so I could swap bits. He said that he hated them and that on long descents they faded something awful. Could just be a set up thing if you're getting on fine Swiftacular though.

daveb
    Free Member

haha, bit of a split then, anyone else?

doug_basqueMTB.com

That's STW for you eh? Two answers and it's 50:50. Now I just need to say that it's because Swiftacular can't ride and he just needs to say that my mate drags his brakes and your thread will turn into abuse and you'll never know the answer! 😆

Kuco

I've got normal Avid Elixir's on my DH bikes and they never faded in the alps. But i've had 2 sets of xt's and they both were completely different from one another.

jimw
    Free Member

I have Elixir R's on my Trek with 180mm rotors. They are very good- fantastic bite, good modulation and very powerful overall. Certainly compared to the XTR brakes ( 180mm front rotor) on my Litespeed they are more powerful yet similar modulation. I have not had any issues with fade. A friend has CR's on his Gary Fisher Rosco and he completed the Passporte Du Soleil plus two other full days in the alps with no problems at all- he has uprated to 203mm disks each end which may help with fade?

Dave
    Free Member

Fade could be down to how tricky they are to bleed. No problems with mine on sintered pads and 30+ temps on long Slovenian descents last week.

As I wrote in the mag they've won me back after Juicy's….

daveb
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback. Merlin seem to have the best price so may well make a purchase 🙂

PaulBecks
    Free Member

Awesome brake, i've been competing on these this year moving away from XTR and found them very reliable.

Loads of adjustment with a nice progressive feel through the lever with zero fade or sqeal!

Get some Ti bolts on board to reduce the weight though.

daveb
    Free Member

TI Bolts? Where would you buy them from then? CRC or similar

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Tricky to bleed? I found them simple, really fool proof system.

Im not sure for Alpine descents or similar, but for uk trail riding id happily recommend them.(i am slightly biased though, having had j3's, j5's 2 sets of j7's a set of elixir rs and a set of CRs, and never having a single problem with any of them)

daveb
    Free Member

I just did a search, TI bolts are not cheap are they….

kempfab
    Free Member

The pads are different from Juicy's though?

nuke

The pads are different from Juicy's though?

Yep, different pads.

Just got a set of Elixir CRs from Merlin. First ride today after fitting yesterday. Very pleased…loads of power and pad changes look a lot easier than Juicys (although I'm expecting to lose that little clip thing that clips on to the end of the pad bolt)

shredder
    Free Member

daveb I have sent you a mail re some I have for sale.

Thanks
    Rich

RealMan
    Free Member

Got the elixir CRs here, theyre brilliant. Best brakes I've ever used. Got them off merlincycles. Don't think they use the same pads as juicys though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.