Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone used a garmin (edge 705) for recording ski runs?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Thinking of taking it on holiday skiing this year – I know you can get garmin maps of ski runs US and Europe , not sure about those but as a record of ski runs and speed might be a laugh?

wwaswas

it's probably worth doing – try switching it to 'rapid sample' mode though so you get enough sample points for a meaningful set of data.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh I normally have it on rapid (oops ) but have a big memory card 😉 I'm looking into the piste data £50 for whole of italy etc.

http://www.mountaindynamics.com/en/EU-Italy.html

or zermatt/cervinia for e.g. = £25

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Have just done it on our skiing holiday. Not with an Edge but an eTrex Vista. Didn't bother with the Mountain Dynamics maps – a piste map is free, and just waymarked the lifts myself.

It's quite fun having a look at how far you have gone, how fast, how high etc., more of a novelty rather than anything else.

Here's a link to a day out – have got odd speed spikes in the log file for some reason (top speed according to the trip computer was generally in the region of 70kph each day):

Sauze D'Oulx 3rd Feb

jonnymojo
    Free Member

tried running with my edge 305 in an armband and it didn't work. Don't think the signal is good enough unless it sits right on your handlebars. Let us know if it works though

Spongebob
    Free Member

No, but i have used a Garmin Foretrex 201 for this for the past 4 years. This year I enabled Nokia Sportstraker on my mobile as well as using my Garmin. I guess this makes me a geek! 😆

blades2000
    Free Member

Yep used my 705,
    No problems unless you went under ground like at Tignes up to Glacier.
    Tignes skiing

Have fun and enjoy looking back to see how fast you go. 🙂

Edit, I just had the edge in my pocket, and didn't have the maps as i just used a piste map.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep mine worked really well, just had it in my jacket pocket. Didn't bother plotting the runs/lifts, what's the point, you're not exactly navigating. Just interesting to see with hindsight where you've been. It did weirdly miss out a bit in the middle, presumably where it lost signal.

Deux Alpes

Sandwich

My Edge 305 works ok in a jacket pocket when running. It gets some odd spikes from the iPhone though. 213mph running at one point!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – cheers guys def going to take it now 🙂 3 weeks to go!!!

I'll see how flushed I am whether I get teh piste maps – Does teh 705 have a newer generation GPS ship than the 305? Maybe thats why the reception is better?

Nope same chip SiRFStarIII – perhaps not then 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I really don't see why the piste maps would be of any use whatsoever? You're not going to be skiing down looking at your GPS, so it's really only going to be used retrospectively, when you're skiing the runs are generally going to be signed anyway, it's not like riding where there's thousands of tiny paths leading off and navigation's an issue.

Save your money!

Sandwich

Different software and aerial which "remembers" where the satellites were when it was shut down so that it finds them more quickly. Edge 305 has a couple of minutes on a flat surface outside with a good view of the sky before I start running, it's hopeless at fixing a start position on the move.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Makes sense Sandwich 🙂

Njee – just toying with the idea – I know its def not a neccessity (am fairly experienced skier 😉 ) would just be a silly gadget geek thing 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, well it's your money, it just strikes me as being 100% useless, you're not going to benefit from them when you upload to Connect or similar anyway! And I like my gadgets as much as anyone!

timmys

One use of tracking where you have been is so you can then use the track logs to add GPS data to any photos you take. Just requires you to sync the time on your camera to that on the GPS, record where you have been and use a bit of software to insert the GPS data into the photo's EXIF metadata. Really nice if you use software, such as iPhoto etc, that can use the GPS data to plot where you have taken photos on a map for you.

I used my 305 in my pocket to record pretty much everywhere I went on my holiday in Alaska last year. In the car, light planes, boats, walking – it recorded at all very well from my pocket.

Being able to draw red lines of where you have been in Google Earth is kinda cool as well. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used a garmin (edge 705) for recording ski runs?’ is closed to new replies.