Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • anyone use unity game engine creator?
  • racefaceec90

https://unity3d.com/

have heard about it,and just downloading it now (the free version). could a complete numpty (me) be able to try and create a game? (with no artistic/programming skills e.t.c)

would love to try and make a basic type of game.

al2000

Our company uses it, and have just released our fourth game developed with it. Most of us have got 20+ years of game development experience though, so very different to your situation.

For learning I would say it’s pretty decent, very accessible, lots of online tutorials and massive community and asset store support. If you’re prepared to get stuck in and learn new stuff you could do a lot worse.

racefaceec90

ah thanks for the reply.

tbh am a complete novice at anything art/programming (even back to the c64 basic days).

i do have little big planet 2 on ps3,which i have not played anywhere near as much as i would like (due to a smallish hdd space). i really should start with that first.

al2000

I’d say give it a go – start with some of the demos and example projects, and play around with them.

All the variables that control things are exposed in the editor, so you can easily change things and quickly see what effect it has. Have a dig around in the code as well, mess about, change stuff. It doesn’t matter if you don’t understand what most of it does, you can pick that up as you go along.

chvck
    Free Member

Be aware that most tutorials appear to be aimed at unity 4.x not 5. So some things require some googling/fiddling to make work, I’m slowly learning to use it atm.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t but others at my work do. We still have graphics artists to create the assets / textures and then the graphics programmers take over to control the assets / models. They tell me it is much more productive than the C++ frame work they were using but that is not hard! Give it a go. If you are interested you should be able to get there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘anyone use unity game engine creator?’ is closed to new replies.