Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone use Markdown?
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Anyone on here write in Markdown?

I write in ByWord on either iPad or OS X, and have been after a way to convert Markdown into a PDF on a custom template complete with headers/footers. Header only need to contain document name, and foot page x of y type of thing. Most of the programs for doing this seem to lack the ability to set headers/footer when converting markdown to a template.

Anyone know of anything worth a look?

EDIT: Forgot to change the forum, sorry Mods. Feel free to move it. (The irony given how much it irritates me!)

yacoby
    Free Member

I tend to go Markdown -> Latex (and fix everything up) -> PDF using PanDoc and pdflatex. No idea how easy those are to get working on OS X though.

spacemonkey

I hate markdown so I use Textilius on my iPad. Loads of formatting and syncing options.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I tend to go Markdown -> Latex (and fix everything up) -> PDF using PanDoc and pdflatex. No idea how easy those are to get working on OS X though.

Hmm, I figured Pandoc would come up here. Easy to install IIRC using homebrew (brew install pandoc) but from what I remember is a pain in the arse to template. Was hoping for something easier, but will go down that route if I have to.

I hate markdown so I use Textilius on my iPad. Loads of formatting and syncing options.

Not a fan of traditional word processors. I find it a lot quicker to write using markdown over anything else.

chambord
    Free Member

+1 for pandoc.

Unfortunately for this kind of thing there is always a steep learning curve but once you’ve done it once you can normally resuse it again some time in the future.

I guess there’s a possibility you could do md->PDF and then use TeX to make a document with headers/footers and include the other PDF inside it. Sounds a hack though and not sure whether it would work either

danielgroves
    Free Member

Hmm, not a fan of hacking stuff. Looks like I’ll just have to deal with pandoc when I get an afternoon free to spend swearing at it 😀 At least it’ll only need doing the once as I should only need the one template.

Cheers all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Markdown?’ is closed to new replies.