Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone use a (SAD) light box?
  • cinnamon_girl

Seriously thinking of getting one. Despite taking a huge daily dose of Vit D, the continual darkness just makes me want to sleep. Can’t remember ever experiencing so much lethargy.

From what I’ve been reading, you need a powerful one unless you have all day to sit in front of it. Some say 45 minutes daily, others more.

Would be most interested to hear of your experiences.

As always, thanks. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I ain’t tried one but I’ve noticed (I think for the first time) that I seem to be caught in a cycle of
    insufficient sunshine :
    feeling lethargic :
    not riding :
    insufficient sunshine 🙂

I’m thinking that just getting outside more is the best way to break the cycle.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tried one of the alarm clocks. it went back after a week. Great idea, just poorly functioning. And damn expensive for what is essentially an alarm clock with a bulb and a dimmer switch.

cinnamon_girl

druidh – I think it must be even harder for you Scots!

On a serious note, and speaking as an old girl, weather has never been as bad as it is now! Have been outdoors regularly for around 25 years and never had a problem with kicking myself out of the door. Some of my best runs were in the rain and snow.

How is one supposed to get out and ride when it’s raining every bloomin’ day? I don’t mind the odd shower but it’s been a constant deluge. 👿

Mr Woppit – that would interfere with my other drugs.

BillMC

I have a biggish one on my desk at work and I have it on from 7.15 to 8.30, it makes a difference. Without this, daylight and rides when possible I become a carb devouring bear with a splinter in each paw. Money well spent in my view.

ampthill

I’ve often thought of getting one as i seem to get SAD

Interestingly mine was worse when the day light was going. So its not as bad as it was.

Another problem i have is that when the sun does shine i feel so euphoric that i get a sort mild mania and burn through my energy way to fast

racefaceec90

apologies double post 😳

racefaceec90

i know how you feel cinnamon girl 🙁

am currently stuffing my face with quality street (and peeved that it’s going to rain yet again tomorrow 😡 i wanted to go out on my road bike (was planning devizes/avebury/marlbrough/pewsey then back to devizes again).i have bought food to take with me .but it says the weather is going to tip it down tomorrow morning.

the weather is bloomin depressing to say the least 😡 sorry to be so negative by the way 😳

it’s not all bad though as i don,t have a digibox anymore/so cannot be exposed to rubbish crimbo tv 😆 and i can take my frustration out playing bad rush covers/play quake/doom on my pc.

DAMN YOU WEATHER GODS! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! (furiously waves fist at the sky for emphasis).

i reckon we’re due for some descent weather very soon to make up for it 😀

merry christmas to you by the way 🙂 and to everyone else too 🙂

grum
    Free Member

CG – I’ve got one and I’d definitely recommend it. You need to try and do a blast of it in the morning then around tea time I think, I need to use mine more but it does help.

The thing mentioned above sounds like a dawn simulator which is slightly different.

http://www.sad.org.uk/

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I just bought one, its a light bx but also does the alarm sunrise thing.

Have been talking about getting one for years, after putting on 4kgs over te past 6 weeks I have to act.

Constantly hungry and and eating but no energy and tired, craving all the crappy food of the day, it’s such a difference from just a few mints ago.

Fingers crossed that it makes a difference.

yunki
    Free Member

what was that old statistic about moving 150 miles South of your present location to completely cure depression..?

bruneep

Constantly hungry and and eating but no energy and tired, craving all the crappy food of the day, it’s such a difference from just a few mints ago.

How many mints do you have in a day?

druidh
    Free Member

Moving 150 miles North would cure mine.

Milkie
    Free Member

I have SAD lights around the house, they work very well for me. I have to remember to turn them off in the evenings (8-9pm) otherwise I find myself still very much awake at 1am. 😯

I have a SAD light with an alarm and it works well, still struggle to get up in the mornings.. I like me bed.

cinnamon_girl

BillMC and grum – can I ask what one you have?

raceface – yes, this Wiltshire weather is depressing! You may be OK with your ride tomorrow, there seems to be a window for a couple of hours around lunch time according to Met Office. Their forecasts are anything but reliable though!

Years ago, you would never hear of anyone struggling with SAD but am seeing it mentioned more.

Thanks again for the replies. 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

hello from more than 150 miles north of you all.

I never hear of Norwegians whining about SAD. Must be the pale skin and blue eyes

😉

grum
    Free Member

Don’t they have quite high suicide rates in bits of Scandinavia?

CG – I have this one. Flickers a bit when you first switch it on but it settles down.

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=226759

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thiought about one for MrsWCA as she gets depressed over winter when I am in the house a lot. Do you just turn it on in the room you are sat in or do you have to sit in front o it? How does it work or is it just hokum?

druidh
    Free Member

Try leaving her alone more? 😆

bazwadah
    Free Member

CG – I dont use one but my wife does as she has been diagnosed with SAD by the doctor. She uses a Lumie Aribica and it does have positive results. As Milkie said, you have to remember to use it during the day as it can alter your sleep patterns if used in the evening. I was a bit sceptical at first as the cost is quite high, I think it is the cost of the bulbs that make them expensive (judging from looking at replacement bulbs). the rule is the higher the number of bulbs (and total output) the less time you need to sit in front of them. my wife doesn’t have to look directly at it but can just have it nearby while reading, working etc. found this a good resource SAD

sweaman2
    Free Member

I never hear of Norwegians whining about SAD. Must be the pale skin and blue eyes

Definitly truth in that I seem to recall, something about different skin colour generating vit D at different rates. Plus the Norwegian lifestyle of trying to finish work while it might still be daylight.

darrell
    Free Member

Plus the Norwegian lifestyle of trying to finish work while it might still be daylight

is correct

swampi
    Free Member

i have and use one, really helps, only down side is that its a big flat box and the further away you are from it the longer you have to expise yourself to it

BillMC

Mine’s about A3 size from Maplin, didn’t cost a lot (c£45) a few years ago.

BillMC

Yep, mine is the same as on Grum’s linky. Still £45, result!

footflaps

Mrs FF and I both have these on timer plugs to help wake up.

25 Dec 2012 10:03 by brf, on Flickr

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Had the same one ^^^

Just stay busy, eat healthy and laugh.

Exercise too!

granny_ring

Lumie do a 30 day money back if not happy with them
    Other half tried one of the light alarm clocks but just rolled over to get away from the light 🙂 Sent it back and got money back apart from postage costs.

Might be worth trying one of the others in their range?

LUMIE

qwerty
    Free Member

I heard Troutie has a prototype one in the making, it can deliver a years worth sunlight in 3 seconds but needs its own dedicated pylon power supply from the nearest nuclear power station.

lambchop
    Free Member

Brite box user here. It works.

footflaps

I had a Lumie, but sold it on here as it just wasn’t bright enough to notice. The big light boxes, however, do wake you up.

cinnamon_girl

Terrific! Thanks very much. 8)

Lots to check out.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a (SAD) light box?’ is closed to new replies.