Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone use a roof mounted carrier on a classic car
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Mines got roof rails, I’ve found that you can still get roof bars but I’m not sure I’d trust them to be strong enough to take my bike??

Ta

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What car?

If it had them when new and they’re not rusty what’s the problem?

swisstony
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant roof gutters not rails so I’d need the clip on type roof bars, It’s a 1978 Alfa Romeo GTV.

My dad still tells the story of the whole roof rack sliding off one holiday when we went around a roundabout so I don’t want the same to happen with my bike, hopefully though the modern bars will attach better?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fitting roof rails to an Alfa Romeo GTV is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.

You’ve got to size it up, approach it gently and then screw it har[Enough! Mods.]

geoffj

Sea sucker?

andyv
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. Guttered roof racks are a darn sight more secure than the gutterless versions on more modern cars. I’ve had 5 whitewater kayaks on a guttered Viva, Mini, VW Variant, T2 Bay, Mk1 Golf, Sierra etc etc. Just make sure your Italian steel gutters aren’t rotten.

Thule roof bars are best. I think they also make some halfords bars

Andy

Tracey

I’ve just binned some Thule ones that have been at the back of the garage for the last 23 years. If you saw the amount of windsurfers and gear we used to stick on them you wouldn’t be worried about a bike or two. Think they were last fitted to a Nissan Sunny ZX in 1993

swisstony
    Free Member

Thanks folks, sounds like a goer then and the Thule ones don’t seem too badly priced.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a roof mounted carrier on a classic car’ is closed to new replies.