Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • anyone use a roadrat for cx
  • karnali
    Free Member

thinking of changing the commuter to a roadrat so i can ss the winter and gear the summer and get some discs, anyone also use one for a little bit cx as well

Clink

No but I was thinking of doing it too….

theboatman
    Free Member

Rode mine around most of the peak this summer, and it was a blast. I can't really compare it to a 'proper' cx bike, as I've never ridden one. It's back in its usual commuter guise at the minute with guards and panniers.

karnali
    Free Member

now that look srelly nice tempted me even more i can see the cross bike going on the classifieds, is rear wheel removal a real faff?

theboatman
    Free Member

is rear wheel removal a real faff?

Yes, to me it is. With gears the derailler is bolted on through the rear wheel, so you have to break the chain to get the wheel free from the bike. I did try a road side punture repair without doing this, and a work mate that drove past told me I looked like a nutter wrestling a bike 😕 With the sliding dropouts, you also have to unbolt the mudguards at the frame etc, so imagine a rear disk may also make this a bit more fiddly. I do love the bike, but always try a run a tyre with decent puncture protection. Whilst the frame offers plenty of choice in rider set up, as a bloke who runs gears I'd rather have gone for a standard geared drop out set up, but it's my only gripe with the frame.

BadlyWiredDog

You don't have to break the chain, you simply remove the skewer, take the slide bit with the mech hanger off and slide the rear wheel out. It's really not a major hassle.

My Rat's built up in a sort of cross-like way with gears and drops and Avid mechanical discs at the moment and it's okay, but heavy – around 24lb – and the standard fork is pretty harsh imo anyway.

Cotic has a proper cross frame due out soon, might be worth hanging on for that – also disc compatible I think.

theboatman
    Free Member

You don't have to break the chain

Actually that's true, thinking about it I tend to break the chain as I worry about losing any bits roadside and I've always got spare power links about my person. Sod's law seems to dictate I never get a flat in daylight hours, and to me it it's still a faff.

simonm
    Free Member

My Rats about the same as yours Paul…. and I thought that was dead light ! I did some of the local bridleways on it with 1.35" racing ralphs.. was fun but pretty tough. Ive got flats not drops though.

Clink

No way do you have to break the chain! Just remove the skewer as per BWD. Also I run 'guards and can just undo the bolts not remove them. Not perfect but not end of the world.

theboatman
    Free Member

No way do you have to break the chain! Just remove the skewer as per BWD. Also I run 'guards and can just undo the bolts not remove them. Not perfect but not end of the world.

You make one daft comment and…. 🙂 I have already taken the chain breaking bit back, and explained the odd logic to why I do it. I also said I just unbolt the guards as stated, the etc was just that I have to also undo my pannier rack bolts so the mudguard can get out of the way of the wheel. You are right, it's not the end of the world, it is just a bit of a faff.

For reference, google images tells me this is the end of the world;

kelvin

I'm using a short RAT with Midge bars for both off-road and commuting, but I am using some different (carbon) forks to loose weight and gain some comfort.

Clink

some different (carbon) forks to loose weight and gain some comfort.

What are they?

kelvin

Second hand Eastons.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘anyone use a roadrat for cx’ is closed to new replies.