Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone use a neoprene-type protector thingy on a dropper seatpost ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Was wondering, these ‘ere dropper seatposts seem a little susceptible to failure and being covered in crud. Is there any kind of neoprene-type cover, like a LizardSkins chainstay protector, that you can get for them ? Does anybody use anything else to do the same job ?
    Have got a nice new Reverb and am thinking I should look after it as much as possible.

neninja
    Free Member

Or use an old inner tube cable tied top and bottom

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

yep, We use a neoprene fork boot on a Joplin. Made a massive difference to reliability; it seized up and filled with water on the very first ride (prior to fitting the boot) and has been fine since (a year on).

As long as you dont use it as an excuse to totally neglect it, which I think is why 2Pure advice against them (though when ours went back for a warranty seal repair they complimented us on how clean and well maintained it was).

A cut down section of innertube works but looks slightly ghetto on a £200 post, also seen people make flaps like the neoprene front fenders out of inner tube (ie cut a flat section, attach to saddle rails and seatpost binder bolt so it sits behind the post, rather than wrapping around it).

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I use an old fork gaiter on a Joplin post – off a cheapo steel suspension fork – one of the bellows style ones. Looks a bit crap but works a treat and compresses neatly when the post is right down. Not had any issues with dirt ingess even after the last afternoon of Passportes du Soleil, when it turned into a total clay mudfest.

chiefgrooveguru

The oft-cosmetically-vilified but ever reliable Gravity Dropper has a corrugated rubber gaiter which works nicely.

nuke

I use an old fork gaiter on a Joplin post – off a cheapo steel suspension fork – one of the bellows style ones. Looks a bit crap but works a treat and compresses neatly when the post is right down. Not had any issues with dirt ingess

+ 1 Both my Joplins have shock boots off a set of Manitou SX forks. They work a treat

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive had a Reverb since last year (April) Ive ridden it all year round pretty much twice/three times a week in all conditions.

Chilterns mud in the winter, Alps dust in the summer, trail center grit etc etc.

I took it apart to see how dirty it was inside and it was completely clean.

So I would not worry about the Reverb, the seal is good. Other seals may not work so well. My mate has a Gravity dropper, its given him loads of grief (much to my amusment) dispite it allegedly being easy to fix, he still needs to fix it all the time.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve have a reverb for 15months, I felt like you, so I made a mudguard, it fell off, I thought bollocks to it, lifes too short.
    I now clean and grease (fork grease) the shaft after every ride. I also take it out of the bike to let any water evaporate. It is still working like new. It started getting a bit sticky when I wasn’t using the grease, I was having to get all my weight on the seat to start it off moving, but now it is perfect. Its worth looking after it, but no need for a mudguard in my experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a neoprene-type protector thingy on a dropper seatpost ?’ is closed to new replies.