Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone use a hip pack/ bum bag type thing?
  • tommid
    Free Member

As the title says, but I mean when riding not just while outs and about like German tourist.

I was wondering if one might be a good shout for my short Sunday blasts, something like this
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/code/67110057

cinnamon_girl

You may find this recent thread to be interesting:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/who-here-uses-a-wingnut-bag

KevinPP
    Free Member

I bought a similar one to your link on eBay for £6 for exactly that reason. 😀
    I often get out for a local hour or so ride and don’t want to carry a full pack. Mine is just big enough to get a tube, multitool, small pump and keys in, plus the water bottle.(which is in Olive to match the pack and does look a bit naff – must get a new bottle)
    I find it ideal though. It makes drinking a bit more difficult than with a bladder, but access to everything is easy when you stop as you can just twist the belt round.

tommid
    Free Member

Thanks Cinnamon and Kevin.

I know once upon a time everyone had them. Might have a quick search on ebay.

cinnamon_girl

tommid – I’m currently used an old Karrimor one, due to a busted shoulder. Whilst I find I can cram quite a bit in, it does not fit ergonomically. Certainly I wouldn’t want bottles in it or in mesh pockets.

The Wingnut 2.5 looked good and there were plenty of happy folk with one. However, it is not cheap! I really miss using a bladder too.

wors

i use a karrimor one, ideal for local rides.

dawson

I use an ancient Nike bumbag for local rides, its big enough for a tube, patches, multi-tool, phone and keys. I keep a water bottle in a cage on the frame.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i use one for commuting on the road bike and local summer rides on the MTB
    they are handy and it avoids the sweaty back from a camelbak

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve still got my Cannondale one I bought on a trip to Moab in the 90s.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

15 years ago bum bags were standard. The only negative I found was a bigger bum bag pulled on my waist too much, cutting circulation/breathing. The Wingnut thing seems like a good idea, gets good reviews.

Northwind

I just started using a camelbak one- small pockets and space for a bottle. Great for just grabbing and riding, very stable.

thorpie
    Free Member

I have an old Karrimor one which has hardly been used, has 2 bottles and pouches for them as well as a decent sized compartment for storing things. Would sell it if you were interested?

Trevor.

xcentric
    Free Member

use a lowe one – meant for cameras – and used it when I originally mountain biked – 20 years ago. It fits gel bars, drink (small), tube, repair kit, phone, car keys, tools, tyre levers – and is still pretty small. Slips round to front for access, rear for rising. Has wide straps so doesn’t pull to much, but it probably compresses my waist more than a camelbak or other would. essentially, it’s fine.

However, I’m going to get a Camelbak – will take a bit more for days in the hills, easier to drink from on the go (and I need to do that more) – but I’m getting a Charge LR – has a lumbar reservoir so the water and weight is low down around the waist – it seems much more sensible for mountain biking than carrying it higher on the back, and I’m used to the waist weight.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah I use one like that

tubes,tools,small pack jacket and bits and bobs, plus a extra bottle if needed

I’ve got a camelback mule, but don’t get on with things on my back,

also got a topeak bar bag for camera/phone

russjp
    Free Member

+ 1 for an old mid 90’s cannondale bumbag. Has two bottle pockets and enough room for tube, tools and waterproof jacket. Normally use it for sub two hours rides

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I used to use a north face one (I have two, different sizes) but now I use a Dakine Shuttle rucksack – pretty small and takes a 2L hydration pack.

Moves around a lot less than a bum bag, I have no comfort issues with it and am surprised by the number of people complaining of comfort issues with camelbacks on that other thread.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a hip pack/ bum bag type thing?’ is closed to new replies.