Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone use a Defender as a daily drive?
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Currently our household has two very sensible diesel estates. I don't do big miles so want my wife to use mine for comutong, get rid of hers then get a late 110 TD5 County. I have a 90 trickcab now ( which I would sell).

Anyone use one as a daily drive?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I use them for work a lot. If your after comfort in any way then no. If its going to be used for what its designed for – serious off road use then they are great. Motorway driving int the most pleasant for any long trips.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Used to , 95 300tdi 90 till i got stolen, if you already have a 90 you should know the answer… slow, noisy, leaky, unreliable, thirsty, no comfort,
    should I go on?

yet for some reason I would still buy another. Another usefull answer from stw

cranberry
    Free Member

I use my 110 TD5 daily. On the motorway you can do 70 as long as there isn't a head wind. A County would be better than my hardtop which isn't the best for being able to look to the sides/rear.

I think I'd only get a Defender if it was being used off road/for towing/putting large amounts of stuff and/or people in. I use mine off road, and last weekend was towing trailers full of wood for a friend. It's also built up as a camper, so for me the practicality outweighs the fact that there are more comfortable/faster/cheaper vehicles to run.

It also puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it ( even though sometimes you open the door and find that it's been raining inside 🙂 ).

For more info/help check out LRO's Defender forum

psling
    Free Member

TD5 90 here as only vehicle. 110 will be heavier on fuel than your 90 but will tow better. You'll actually have some useable space too! The TD5 is a nice engine but you have all the electronics that go with it compared to your current 90. Having said that, mine hasn't been a problem at all (89,000 miles). You know the rest 😀

dickydutch

90 TD5 used as a daily vehicle here too. Best money I've ever spent. Although its nto comfortable. and there isnt that much space in the back (even with no seats) although it will easily swallow two bikes with front wheels off and then you hose it out afterwards!
    I absolutely love it and can't honestly see myself having a 'proper' car again at the moment!
    A big plus for me was to be able to do the majority of the jobs on it myself. That link posted above is excellent if you need any advice. theres also http://www.lr4x4.com (which you probs already know about). The tech archive on there is pretty comprehensive!

jackthedog
    Free Member

I ran a Defender for 4 years as a daily driver, they're fine. Actually they're more than fine, they're the best vehicle in the world.

I'd still run it but for the fact that all Defenders at some point suffer the same problem: They get stolen.

dickydutch

My biggest fear!!
    Looking at putting in some sort of hidden fuel pump cut off switch.

mattbee

Ex mil 90 owner myself, altthough it's been fitted with a hardtop and a TD engine at some point in the past. Gets used as a daily driver, but then I don't really do more than a hundred miles a week in normal use.

My dream vehicle is a 110 crewcab, but I have a hell of a lot of saving to do for one of those1

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Thanks guys, all sounds quite familiar. Mind you a common thing is with them, they are not as slow, as thirsty or as noisy as people imagine. I grew up with them so I think I may be used to it!

I had an L200 a few years ago and to be honest it was slower than a TD5, as thirsty, no more comfortable and it had the added two-toned problem that I looked like an absolute **** in it!

I will let you know what happens in the new year 🙂

69er
    Free Member

I bought a 200 TDi Defender off here about 8 or 9 years ago. My favourite motor vehicle, ever. Gets driven daily, tows superbly, awesome off road, great for bikes, dogs and generally playing.

It also leaks like a sieve with the mesh taken out, and mine seems to like consuming fan & alternator belts. If you drive it at the speed limit it's quite refined (I'm lying). I would definitely get another one.

oldgit
    Free Member

Drove a 90 as my only car for years, perfectly happy with it. The problem was it's length as I needed something that I could put 3M lengths in. Went for a Disco in the end.

cranberry
    Free Member

Here's some inspiration, to help you make the right decision:The Land Rover

dickydutch

Get one!Nowhere near as slow or un-economical as people make out. (TD5 anyway). You can easily surprise boy racer nuggets at the lights as long as you can change the gears quick enough! 1st and 2nd dont seem to be that long. God I love that car.

fisha
    Free Member

i used to run a 90 for a number of years. They are fine as daily drivers.

I bowed out as I always wanted a rangie, and ended up getting one. I still miss the defender though. Good vehicles, but i think you get the most out of them if you use them as they were meant to be. To me, one of the deciding factors was heading home from work exhausted and the racket of driving the 90 was just getting a bit too much. I needed something a little more sedate in that aspect.

I'd go back to a 110 anyday.

martinxyz
    Free Member

workmate drives one to work about 7 miles each way.its got about 180bhp and it great on fuel.

:O)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a Defender as a daily drive?’ is closed to new replies.