Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • anyone use a dedicated wok burner – indoors or out?
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

I am moving into a new flat soon

good news is I'm getting a cooker as part of the fixtures and fittings

bad news – it has an electric hob – and I love cooking with a wok.

Bearing in mind that evan a regular domestic gas hob doesn';t really get hot enough I wondering about getting a stand alone gas powered wok burner.

I think most of them are designed to be used outside like a gas BBQ. I think you may be able to get indoor versions too.

So anyone using one? Are they any good?

Thanks

Tim

druidh
    Free Member

Nope – but we got a 5-ring gas hob which has a wok-burner in the middle and it works much better than a normal gas ring as the heat is applied over a greater proportion of the wok and it gets really, really hot.

grievoustim
    Free Member

druidh – I am pleased for you 🙂

but my new cooker does not – and the space isn;t really big enough to take the kind of cookers that have those 😐

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – I was just getting that dedicate burners definitely cook better…..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I also have a 5 ring burner with a brilliant wok ring.

Sorry – we aren't helping are we?
    😆

grievoustim
    Free Member

👿

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If it makes you feel better, all our friends have range cookers but we can't get one to fit so I do feel your pain.

druidh
    Free Member

Our (AEG) 5-ring gas hob sits over a standard 600mm built-in oven.

grievoustim
    Free Member

If it makes you feel better, all our friends have range cookers but we can't get one to fit so I do feel your pain.

starting to think this should have gone on the middle class angst thread from a few days ago

grievoustim
    Free Member

Our (AEG) 5-ring gas hob sits over a standard 600mm built-in oven.

oh and its not evan that big – one of those narrow ones 500 or 550mm I think

Bit anoying – as its a nice new kitchen, and space isn't particularly limited so I can't work out why the current owner didn't spec a full size oven. But if I were to get one I would need to rip out a cupboard – which would then have knock on effect on flooring etc. I'm going to see if I can live with it first. If it really hacks me off I will need to save up and get it sorted properly (an probably would go for a range).

midlifecrashes

Where's all the heat going to go? Are you planning on sitting this thing on a kitchen table. Proper burners give off huge amounts of heat, 5KW plus and I'd not be happy to see one anywhere near kitchen cupboards. Maybe it could be OK sat on top of your electric cooker with a steel hood above.

Oh, and for the middle classes, Mercury FTW!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Oh the humanity! Won't someone think of the children?!!!?!

grievoustim
    Free Member

Where's all the heat going to go? Are you planning on sitting this thing on a kitchen table. Proper burners give off huge amounts of heat, 5KW plus and I'd not be happy to see one anywhere near kitchen cupboards. Maybe it could be OK sat on top of your electric cooker with a steel hood above.

which is why I'm thinking an outdoor one might be better, doesn't seem like anyone on STW has one, or has used one though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Oh the humanity! Won't someone think of the children?!!!?!

8)

I also want a larder fridge but that won't damn well fit either.

grievoustim
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd

grahamt1980

I found an MSR Dragonfly gets the wok scarily hot. Not that you would probably want to light that in the house though

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘anyone use a dedicated wok burner – indoors or out?’ is closed to new replies.