Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone using the Hope CX disc brakes?
  • Wookster

After yet another bb7 death mid ride* (where only by using the pad adjust I get some brakes back the pads are fine too) I was wondering about these as my MTB brakes are no where near the hassle. I’d be using them with Campag levers does any one use them?

*I’ll be honest and say they get hammered in the mud dirt etc, but have been stripped and cleaned a week ago, last night they went from fine to nothing after I one bad run even with gore cables. They were gereat but at two years old are a bit shot now.

edsbike
    Free Member

I’ve got them, quite powerful once bedded in. Loads of power in the drops but less from the hoods. Not tried cable discs on a cross bike so can’t compare, but I’m pleased with mine. Usual Hope quality and fit-and-forget-ness (for me at least).

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have been after a few reports as well but it seems that ed is the only person in the world with them.

Is the splitter thingy not £350?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve looked into the Hope v-twin too and even though I can get it at trade (which makes it really quite cheap considering) I’m sticking with BB7s – mine seem pretty faultless so I’d be interested to know what’s going wrong with yours.

druidh
    Free Member

+1

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like possibly mtb brakes on road levers – i have this set up on my road rat because it came with flat bars and its VERY sensitive to set up.

where as my MTB set up with bb7s could do 10 and 24 hour endurance events without touching the pads 😀

ronburgundy

I have the v-twin and I think they are great. Easy to set up and nice and powerful with 160 rotors – more than you will ever need on 33mm tyres.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll add that I’m using my BB7 (road version – I assume that you are using the road specific ones!) with Campag ergos with no problems at all in all conditions.

IHN

BB7s – mine seem pretty faultless so I’d be interested to know what’s going wrong with yours.

Me too. I have BB7’s on two MTBs, and had them on previous MTB’s) and on my crosser/roady and they’ve been faultless.

Which is more than can be said for the Hopes that the original set replaced…

Are you using the road caliper? It and the MTB one are different.

MrAgreeable

An occasional riding buddy has the V-twin adapter and it works fine, although as said it’s spendy, a bit fugly and any “slam that stem” types will have to bodge a bracket for the reservoir unit.

He also purchased after finding BB7s uncharacteristically useless. It seems like a well-known online shop beginning with “W” have been selling the MTB versions mistakenly labelled as the road ones.

clubber
    Free Member

Whozat Mr_A? Nouv?

MrAgreeable

Leon. Although unlike the OP he didn’t have a sudden falling-out with the BB7s, they just always felt wrong.

Wookster

Hi all sorry work in the way of hobby shocking!! No these are defo road ones not from the big W. as I said they been hammered for two years or so twice three time a week all winter so maybe I’ve killed them. They seem to just lose all power and or then stick on.

I do think these are shot as they were awesome but now are unpredictable which is an issue on the road ride back home using the patented Like a bike technique of foot dragging ( thanks to Wookie Jr for the lessons in the park) on the way to a busy junction isnt good 😯 .

I’ve never had this with hydros even in the same gloop, I’m tired of the mid ride fettle. But have a disc only frame.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using the Hope CX disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.