Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone upgarded a Giro E2 to a Giro Athalon?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm considering doing the above (I generate a lot of my own heat so ventilation is pretty important hench why I'm not looking at the Hex).

However, I found a very articulate but damning review on MTBR and I was wondering if anyone who has used both agreed or disagreed.

Cheers.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I was an E2 fan, had a couple over the course of 5 years or so. Bought an Athlon in feb 09 and been using it ever since. It's very good, fit is similar to E2, Rocloc is better if anything and the POV visor adjusts well through an adequate range. I trashed my first one after 2 months in a hard crash at which point I had the choice to buy something different, but went for an identical Athlon; I like it!
    MTBR will always give you very mixed reports, but if Giro as a whole fit you, you'll be fine with an Athlon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's the thing, I don't think Giro fit as well as they used to but there's not a lot of choice out there to try on. Of the things that are, nothing fits better. Normally, I'll dismis a bad review but there were only two and this one was very detailed and articulate. Good to hear someone likes theirs though.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation a few months back; long-time E2 user (I was looking for my 3rd)(and the Exodus before that).

I read that review and took my XL E2 into Evans to compare them. The Athlon was definitely a different head shape (and obviously external shap – it's less MTB, a roadie lid with a peak stuck on).

In the end I sourced a new E2 from the States, you'll be pushed to get hold of one now though.

Why did Giro not bring out a true E2 replacement I wonder? Surely there's still a market for something between the Xen and the top-end roadie lids Ionos?

nickc

I've moved from Giro to Specialized, newer Giro's just didn't fit my head. I used to think I was a sweater as well, but I've noticed that I'm running much less sweaty with a spesh as well.

grunty
    Free Member

I am getting an Athlon for Xmas (already tried it on). I am upgrading from a Spesh – the Giro seems to fit my head better.

Horses for courses I guess. ;o))

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I first started wearing Giro, their USP was that they made 11 (or was it 13) dofferent shell sizes for the best fit!

The fit is not as good as it was but there's nothing better I can find. Maybe I should start listening to TJ and not bother with one!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just found some E2s in the states and a mate might be coming over in the new year. Down side is they're only Black with gold frame or silver with lime splat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone upgarded a Giro E2 to a Giro Athalon?’ is closed to new replies.