Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • anyone understand a garmin handheld GPS? Help please
  • Lofty
    Free Member

my parents have bought a Garmin etrex HCx and have given it to me to add some maps. i cant understand thing thing at all! i thought i could simply add my .qct memorymap files to it but they don’t seem to be recognised.

what file map file type do i need as i could just find them online and dump then on there via USB??

It really is annoying me!!

chickenslippers
    Free Member

Can that version of the etrex defo import maps? I have the old etrex and that doesn’t support maps.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Garmin proprietary maps only I’m afraid.

When I sorted out my Etrex Legend 2 years ago the choice was City Navigator or Metroguide for road maps, or Topo for more (but not great) offroad maps.

Then you use Mapsource with the unit usb’d to the comp to transfer to maps on.

You can’t use memorymap files, and won’t get anything like OS maps detail without buying a newer unit like a Dakota I’m afraid.

Lofty
    Free Member

thanks for the reply. when you say topo maps is that a brand or just general topographical maps?

Dyffers
    Free Member
    drofluf
    Free Member

You should be able to add OSM maps. Try here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

abductee
    Free Member

UK specific OSM maps here http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

ChrisA
    Free Member

i’m not convinced the etrex is going to do what you want? It won;t show you maps like more expensive units and there is no external storage to be able to add an SD card for maps.

You could plan your route on OS getta map, or something like that, export it to the Extres and follow it as a bread crumb course, but the screen will not physically show you any maps.

They are useful for giving a grid reference and for stats / seeing where you’ve been on garmin connect site, but the extrex isn;t designed as a satnav for the hills, its just a basic unit.

Dyffers
    Free Member

and there is no external storage to be able to add an SD card for maps.

Etrex takes 2GB (max) micro SD card, in the battery compartment. It’s where you store the maps you download to the unit, or you can buy maps already on microSD (can’t use there on Mapsource like the DVD maps though).

but the etrex isn;t designed as a satnav for the hills, its just a basic unit.

[Dragnet] I’ve never needed more [/Dragnet] (although a Dakota and £200 of OS maps would be nice).

I do what you suggest and use MemoryMap to plot a track, then no matter what suprise singletrack I find I know where I am in relation to the line on my Etrex. For road stuff, the Etrex is all you need. For offroad, I’ll probably have an OS print out in my pocket just in case.

Mike_D
    Free Member
    andytherocketeer

Which exact etrex model?

Legend, Vista, Summit etc. HC/HCx all do maps afaik, and all with the “x” in the HCx bit have an internal microSD slot for maps and gpx logs.

etrex H (without the Cx bit) is basic handheld that afaik doesn’t do maps?

Those that do do maps only take garmin format maps. Either paid-for, or OSM maps exported into a GMAPSUPP.IMG file. (see talkytoaster URL above)

Only real annoyance I have with the Vista HCx, is that you transfer maps and gpx logs to/from the microSD card, but to program waypoints and routes you have to transfer via USB.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘anyone understand a garmin handheld GPS? Help please’ is closed to new replies.