Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone tried the new XT or SLX brakes of the Magura MT line?
  • slackman99
    Free Member

Morning all. Considering some new brakes in the near future.

Was wondering is anyone’s had a chance to try the new XTs, SLX or Magura MT brakes yet?

Any ideas if the the new SLX will be identical (performance wise) to the XT, but just at a heavier weight?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

I have the mt6’s and they are fantastic and the other matt has new xt and xtr and loves them, all good brakes in my opinion. If you are close enough and want to try my mt6’s just ask

Matt

slackman99
    Free Member

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the offer, but you’re a bit far from me! I’ve got Maguras at the minute and enjoy the power, but obviously the new MT’s are a far bit more than XT’s (and a lot more than SLX), so am wondering which are going to be the better brakes for power!

pottsathome
    Free Member

i got the new xt s with the ice tech rotors for my turner and i love them. i really cant see how the xtr s will be better. i thought about spending the extra money but these stop me well enough

slackman99
    Free Member

Potts,

What size rotors are you using with them and what have you previously used/compare them against?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m the other Matt that Matt up there refers to. I’ve got both the 988 XTR brakes and the 785 XT brakes and they are very powerful indeed. Probably the strongest brakes (other than current Saint) that I have tried. They are definitely the best brakes I have used though as the combination of power and feel is superb.

pottsathome
    Free Member

the 180 s before them i had hope m4 with 203 rotors and these are much better. the xtr is a nicer looking brake and i imagine their is some science that they are better but thats above me. all i know is that when i pull the lever i stop. no fade either from drumlanrig to mabie to fort bill these things are all you ll need

slackman99
    Free Member

It’s sounding like the new XTs might be a very good option for me. Bit cheaper than the new Maguras.

Matt H have you tried the Magura MT6’s on 18BikesMatt bike? How do the XT’s compare, power and feel? (same question but opposite way round to 18BikeMatt).

Entonox
    Free Member

I’ve just got a set of the new 2012 M666 SLX brakes and they are the best brakes I have owned to-date – They replaced M775 XTs.

Nicer lever feel. Improved modulation and power, slightly lighter too which surprised me.
    150 Euros from Germany (without rotors).

2012 SLX and XTs are practically identical. Same calliper – the only real difference is the XT lever has the ‘free-stroke’ adjuster.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve not had a proper go with Matt’s Maguras yet but I have had a quick lever squeeze. They feel good from that but I can’t comment further. Not sure whether Matt has tried the XTs yet or not.

slackman99
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

Entonox, I thought that the free stroke was on both the slx and xt? What does the large twiddly knob do that sticks out the front, is that lever reach then, and the free stroke adjusts the bite point?

Entonox
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a bite point adjustment. I’ve had it on the old XTs and never used it.
    The tool free twiddly knob lever reach on both is much more useful.

tintac
    Free Member

Hi slackman

There is a cheaper version of the mt brakes, the mt4 is listed at £139, same features essentially but a touch more weight?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I am exactly the same predicament. How do they compare weight wise. Does anyone know the actually weight of the new xt’s inc rotors. MT4’s are staded at 320g while MT6’s are 310g with rotors. Seems very light. I want to be light as well as powerful

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

ANyone know where the new SLX’s are available for 150 euros?

I’ve had a look on the usual German sites, but can’t find them.

xcstu
    Free Member

I have the new xtr for the Hardtail and they are bloody amazing brakes.. performance and looks…

shimano over magura any day!

Entonox
    Free Member

Hob Nob

149.90 Euros from here
    (without rotors and 6 Euros shipping to UK)

Recommended retailer. Mine arrived within 3 or 4 days.

slackman99
    Free Member

Hi Entonox,

How are you getting on with the SLX brakes? Has the power increased now they’re bedded in?

Entonox
    Free Member

Slackman99

Yeah they’re very powerful. Lovely feel to them too.

Blower
    Free Member

Alps freindly?

Entonox
    Free Member

Didn’t get chance to test them proper as it pissed it down when I was there a couple of weeks ago but…

ceramic pistons
    pads with heatsink fins
    and if you couple them with the ICE-tech rotors I’ll sure they’ll be very Alps friendly.

Cheers

Blower
    Free Member

ahh the rain yes i was caught in that 2 weeks ago over there too 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the new XT or SLX brakes of the Magura MT line?’ is closed to new replies.