Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone tried Superstar XCR ST Single Ring Chainguide?
  • leonthepro
    Free Member

Just been looking at this and was wondering what experiences people had with it?

thepodge
    Free Member

the guide is brilliant but the mount is rubbish.

onandon
    Free Member

I 2nd that

mamadirt
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the mount as I just bought the spare plastic guide and used a home-made mount from a couple of DMR hinged clamps to accommodate the weird seat tube bend on my Commencal.

Works fine though – super quiet and haven’t dropped the chain yet.

Ooops – sorry for the XL pic 😳

thepodge
    Free Member

I could fix mine with a bigger bolt but then it would catch my shock.

I’ve been looking at those dmr clamps, seems a good solution

Rorschach
    Free Member

I 3rd the other 2.
    It cost me 2 (mid-pack!) cx race finishes ,even after drilling out/re-tapping the set bolt to a larger diameter one….and making the guide a bit narrower.
    Not total POS….but close 👿

takisawa2

4th’d here. Mine arrived with the clamp already broken. Will stick with the BB mounted one thats worked brilliantly all summer. Downside of the BB mount is the limited chainline adjustment…the spacers only allow you to move the ring closer to the outside of the cage, I had to pack mine out with some plastic shim to centre it.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just gone 1×9 myself on my AM full sus bike with a 32 t middle chainring but took a different approach.
    Got two bashguards from http://www.bbgbashguard.com/ from a post on here.
    One to replace my outer and one to replace the granny.Fitted them tonight in place of an E13 bash and chain guide,much lighter,looks and appears to run fine but not ridden in anger yet.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Mmmm looks like I will steer clear of the superstar one then. Might try a MRP 1x then.

@nick1962 different approach got any pics?

Thanks guys

nick1962
    Free Member

leonthepro
    Sent some pics to your e mail address in your profile.You do need to check that the inner bash (its the 64 bcd one)that fits to your granny wont rub against your chainstay,mine is fine.I bent the granny bash in towards the chainring slightly too to ensure the chain wont come off just by pulling it in with my fingers once it was fitted nothing drastic.These bash rings are really light and they make even lighter ones too which might be more suitable if you just want to use then as a chain guide.Quick delivery too less than a week from the USA.

takisawa2

Nick1962 any chance you could copy your pics to me also. Always liked this approach. There is a company in Oz who do something along these lines but it looked pricey for what it was.

thepodge
    Free Member

now then, I fixed mine last night. you’ll first need a massive bolt and a few nuts.

take the grub screw and tube nut thing and throw them away.

now thread the massive bolt through the guide hight adjuster plate and put a nut on the back. tighten this up super tight. thread two more nuts on and then the clamp through the tube nut hole followed by another nut.

adjust it all so its in the right place and tighten all the nuts to buggery. use any remaining nuts as lock nuts so nothing shakes free.

its not the neatest or lightest of solution but it does seem to work.

I’ll try get pics tonight

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sounds nutty.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m gonna get some nylock nuts so I don’t need the locknuts then it’ll not be as nutty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Superstar XCR ST Single Ring Chainguide?’ is closed to new replies.