Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone Tried Road Tubeless?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for some new tyres for the road/cx bike and I quite like the idea of going tubeless.
    I’ve seen some Schwalbe One tubeless tyres for a pretty good price and considering that I’m using Stan’s Alpha rims which are tubeless ready I think it makes sense to give it a go!

Has anyone tried tubeless on their roadie and if so, how ‘s it working out?

Yak

Mrs Yak is running road tubeless. She swears by them now she’s got them. Slightly lower pressures for a faster, smoother ride. No punctures so far that we are aware of. Hutchinson Fusion 3’s were a tight fit the tightest buggers I’ve ever had to wrestle onto a rim, but once on inflated first time no problems.

Sixam
    Free Member

Fitted a set of Ones to Ultegra rims. Bit tight to get on but then went up first time with a track pump. Only a few rides so far, but including RideLondon86 where they performed really well. No punctures, good grip, feel just as quick as the Ultremos I had on before. They just make sense, I’ll be staying with them.

kiwijohn

Running tubeless on the CX bike. Cheap wire bead Schwalbe smart sams on Alpha400’s. Went up easily & earned their keep on the first ride.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Running Hutchinson sectors 28 on arch rims until the bead snapped on the rear. Glad I wasn’t riding it at the time. Ordered a pair of schwalbe ones 28mm to try. I’m sold on the concept.

GavinB

Running exact combo you’re looking at. Fitted no problems, no need for any levers to get the tyres on or off, and pump straight up with a track pump with no extra faff. I added a bit of latex to each one, and they hold their pressure really well, probably at least as good as a lightweight tube IME.

Lower pressures, excellent grip, roll well. I’m impressed so far.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Ultremo ZX tubeless on Stans Alphas here. No issues. Went on okay (no wrestling and inflated instantly with a track pump) – been inflated for a good while with no punctures.

I’ll be putting Schwalbe One 28mm on the commuter soon too (also on Alphas)

traildog
    Free Member

Been using for a while including commuting into Manchester which is covered in glass. No punctures as yet and a nicer smother ride.
    Fitting the Hutchinson fusions was a complete and utter pain and I have to carry tyre levers in case I do get a puncture when riding. But haven’t as yet and don’t think I will go back to tubes.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Thanks for the links beej, I tried to use the forum search but as ever it wasn’t much use!

The general consensus seems pretty positive so it looks like I’ll be giving it a go then. The tyres seem pretty expensive over here, in the £55-60 region but the German retailers are knocking them out at about half that so not too bad.

Jase
    Free Member

Been using R3’s with Ultegra Wheels.

Were a nightmare to get fitted, spend what seemed like hours in the garage.

I lose about 50psi overnight so not sure if I need to use a bit more sealent.

Only benefit I have noticed is my arms have got slightly bigger where I have to inflate the tyres so often!

Will be going back to tubes once these tyres are worn.

teamslug
    Free Member

Is it possible to convert a standard rim and use ‘ normal tyres’ as it is with MTB rims and tyres. All my MTB wheels have yellow tape and use standard folding tyres without issue. I realise the extra pressure might be an issue….Road bike has Mavic Aksium rims and Continental Gatorskin tyres…dont want to die

mudshark
    Free Member

I say no as the profile of the rims locks the tyre into place; possibly there could be an appropriate insert such as what Bontrager use.

I do have a pair of barely used tubeless ready Giant P-SL0 wheels I should sell if anyone wants to give it a go.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve used Hutch Fusion 2s and 3s, Bonty R3s, Hutch Sectors, Vittoria CX tyres. All my bikes run tubeless now. Wouldn’t go back to tubes I don’t think – maybe over winter as clinchers are cheaper.

No issues setting them up (on Archetypes). 5 minute job with a compressor.

Some narrow rims can be tricky though, as there isn’t enough space for the valve. And a mate had a (Giant?) rim that was too tight to fit anything to it. Std rims such as Open Pros can be converted with Stans or 3M crossweave tape (cheaper than Stans), but getting them to seat the tyre can be harder than a tubeless or tubeless-ready rim.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I tried it. Bontrager Race wheels, Bontrager tyres, Bontrager tubeless conversion
    They tyres were unbelievably tight to get on. Long metal levers needed. They went up fine with a track pump but leaked 20-30 psi a day. You could actually feel the tackyness of the sealant leeching through the tyres. Doubling the amount of sealant helped a bit. I then got a slit after about 800-1000 miles which wouldn’t seal and left
    Me standard because I couldn’t get the tyre off!
    The ride was a tad more comfortable but that’s it really
    Won’t bother again.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Hutchinson Fusion 23s on Racing 1 2 way fit wheels here. Been using them for a couple of years now. No punctures. Bit of a pain to get on the first time but not so bad after that. No more leakage from the tyres than a standard tube. Lower pressure without the added weight on running a wider tyre. I’d recommend them.

STL

Running Ultremo ZX tubeless on Dura Ace C25 tubeless ready rims. It took the guy in the bike shop a bit of work to get the tyres on (I’m not sure I could have done this at home). Added Orange Seal as per Shimano not liking Stans as a sealant. Got a fair sized cut on the back tyre that after adding CO2 at the side of the road sealed right up. Did have to put a patch inside though to be able to continue to use the rear tyre but not a problem since then.

Set up gives a lot of peace of mind as a girl riding alone quite a bit. Now if only they made 650c tubeless I would not run anything else on the road bikes.

Will be mounting (well the LBS!) Schwalbe Ones in a 25mm when the ZX’s finally die – I have about 3000 miles on these I think (right at a year old).

STL

Macavity
    Free Member

scaredypants

initially tried hutch secteur 28s – were great but they went weird so now on their intensive 25s, which are also fine

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Tried Road Tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.