Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • anyone tried out Tog24 kit?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

hi, just seen some a couple of nice looking jackets in a tog24 outlet shop up in Ellesmere port – the prices are about £100 cheaper than what looks like the equivalent from North Face. Anyone tried them out at all? Is the quality any good?

They do one with a zip-in fleece for about £100 which i like the look of in particular?

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been using some Tog24 stuff for years. Like many of the “budget” brands, you sometimes have to be a bit careful with quality, and some of the materials aren’t exactly leading edge. However, find the good bits and they are robust, well made and comfy.

angeldust
    Free Member

IMO tog24 stuff is average quality/performance. Only consider if heavily discounted. Generally you will be better off with TNF for most stuff.

cinnamon_girl

I have a Tog24 Goretex walking jacket that must be 15 years old. In fact, it won’t wear out! Have used it in some seriously wet weather all over the place and it’s never let me down. Still in good condition too.

Reckon I’ve definitely had my money’s worth! 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

+1 CG.Old style Tog 24 jacket.Bought years ago in a charity shop for buttons.Very good allround windproof fleece.Looked at some new stuff in 2010,fahion conscious crap.You decide.

Rio

I’ve used various bits – pair of Tog24 salopettes has lasted for years, my ski gloves from them are the best I’ve had. Quality IME is somewhat below the higher end brands like Arcteryx or Peak Performance but generally similar or better than recent North Face, and it doesn’t have the chav factor that NF seems to have gained.

Stoner
    Free Member

Tog24/Trespass – much of a muchness. Generally good VFM – Im even wearing a Tog24 200g fleece now, but be picky. Some of the stuff is low quality at average prices. Some is better quality, heavily discounted. TBH I consider most TNF stuff to me little more than crappy fashionwear now anyway. There’s better technical clothing out there for a lot less, and their non-technical stuff is not much better qaulity than the budget brands and 3 times the price.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Stoner – who would you recommend as better than tog24? I could do with a decent lined, properly waterproof jacket, and this one seemed to fit the bill!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a heavy weight tog 24 merino zip up jersey. half the price of an icebreakier and great for spring autumn winter.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Sprayway stuff is decent, I’ve got a 3 in 1 jacket with a zip-in fleece which I got from Gooutdoors heaily discounted,good proofing with a superb peaked hood and quality zips. Can’t fault it.
    I’ve got a pair of Tog24 combat trousers which I wear for walking and they’ve also been pretty good though. As said above, you can usually tell if somethings gonna be shit or not,theres that much stuff out there nowadays for the same purposes.

Stoner
    Free Member

For technical clothing I like Marmot or Mountain Equipment if Im feeling flush. If not, then Im happy with Tog or trespass stuff.

My snowboarding jacket is a trespass one from over ten years ago.

But my current favourite waterproof is a Marmot.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Oh for the good old days of the ’80’s when Tog was good kit.
    I do have a camel back type thing of theirs. Its is identical except the badge to a Dakine one but was 1/3 of the price. And I mean identical.

angeldust
    Free Member

There’s a bit of inverse-snobbery regarding TNF stuff, that lots of people regurgitate without actually using the kit themselves. I use all sorts (Rab, Mountain Hardware, Mountain Equipment, Haglofs, Mountain Equipment, Berghaus, Montane, TNF etc)for some mildly demanding stuff(from Lake district/Scotland to Killmanjaro/Everest base camp). TNF has a huge range, but if you choose the right stuff (and some of it is just fashion), the quality and performance is at least as good as any of the brands above, and significantly better than anything from the cheaper brands imo, such as Tog24 today. OP, I sugguest you look for a discounted item from one of the brands above (shouldn’t be too difficult, start with the ‘rock bottom’ sale section on the Cotswolds outdoor website). Tog24 stuff has gone downhill very quickly in the last ~10 years.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you want a properly waterproof jacket then just stick to Gore-Tex or eVent and you should be ok. Gore-Tex test all jacket designs to make sure the quality of design/manufacture matches their fabrics, so if Tog24 do still make gore-tex jackets, they should be decent quality. Just avoid own-brand fabrics, particularly from the cheaper manufacturers.

Edric64
    Free Member

Just dont buy stuff from Mountain Warehouse .Their waterproofs are cheap and poor quality

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I remember when the Tog shop in ambleside had the heaters on Max to make all the jackets seem warmer!!

Just picked up a Macpac Prophet jacket with 1/3 off http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gear-and-clothing/winter-sale-2012/rainwear/event-rainjacket-prophet-xpd-m.html

Last proper jacket was back in 2001ish after Mtn Hardware launched 1/2 price look for the bargains the shop staff are eyeing up

mrdestructo

I bought a windproof/waterproof (but not breathable) TOG24 jacket and water soaks through the arms upto the elbow from new. I’d call it more water resistant. At least the windproofing was fine and it was a fair cut in that it held warm air and therefore is useful in winter. I’ve grown really wary with quality nowadays in many brands, that something I’m going to rely on for extended periods of time without shelter is now a gamble and they need testing out in controlled conditions before you go wild.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘anyone tried out Tog24 kit?’ is closed to new replies.