Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone take Vit D supplements to alleviate SAD symptoms?
  • IHN

If so, what dose, which type (D3?) and does it help?

mrblobby
    Free Member

D3, 2500ui daily. I think it helps.

IHN

All year, or just in the darker months?

allfankledup

We give the lad Vit D in the winter. Scottish daylight being somewhat limited at that time of the year.

rene59
    Free Member

October to March I do as you can’t get enough from the sun during this period. It helps me, at least I feel better when I take it compared to when I don’t.

ebennett

Boots 10 mcg once daily combined with a SAD lamp – seems to help, could be psychological though! Don’t seem to get as many of the days where I come home from work and just slump on the sofa unable/unwilling to do anything more than order a takeaway though.

EDIT – Just the winter (Oct-March) for the SAD lamp, sometimes take the tablets other times whenever it’s a bit dull or I’ve been cooped up inside for a while.

IHN

combined with a SAD lamp

When do you use the lamp?

marcus
    Free Member

Is this some form of sarcasm IHN, given the number of ‘sunny’ foreign holidays you go on ?

vickypea
    Free Member

I started using it a couple of weeks ago (D3), on recommendation from a couple of people on here. Too soon to notice any effect but I will carry on with it until spring. I get plenty of time outdoors on my bike and walking in spring and summer. Well, I do in the winter too, but the daylight is too rubbish for making vitamin D then!

ebennett

Also, I’d say the lamp probably has more effect than the pills. Again, might all be in my head 😀

IHN

Also, I’d say the lamp probably has more effect than the pills.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

SAD lamp

Am giving Vit D a whirl this winter. Hoping it helps.

footflaps

We use SAD lamps to help wake up in winter, stick them on a timer to come on for an hour in the morning right next to the head of the bed – one each side. Certainly makes getting up a bit easier when it’s dark.

ebennett

Oct-March, I do 5 mins with my face pushed right up against it once I get to work (which makes me look daft) then have it on about 30-50 cm from me for a few hours during the week as I’m at a desk all day anyway. At the weekend I just do the 5 mins after I’ve had breakfast.

IHN

Smashing, ta. Which lamp have you got?

footflaps

We have these from Maplin

The wife also has a portable blue Philips SAD light thing which sits on her desk..

ebennett

It’s a few years old now but I think the latest version of it is the one below – same name anyway (mini daylight).

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Give it a go, you can get a 6 month supply from Amazon from a company called Nu U for not much.

16stonepig
    Free Member

It’s worth pointing out that the SAD lamps don’t affect vit D levels – you require UVB to produce vitamin D. The lamps only emit visible spectrum light, which helps with melatonin and the sleep cycle.

Also, beware of too much vitamin D without certain co-factors. I ran into a lot of trouble taking big doses of D and running out of magnesium, causing all sorts of problems.

chvck
    Free Member

Also, beware of too much vitamin D without certain co-factors. I ran into a lot of trouble taking big doses of D and running out of magnesium, causing all sorts of problems.

Any chance that you can elaborate on this a touch please? I take quite big doses (~10,000ui typically I think) although I’ve been forgetting to take it lately!

cinnamon_girl

From a British GP:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Vitamin_D_-_most_of_us_do_not_get_enough

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Vitamin_D_and_Sunshine:_an_essential_vitamin!_Protects_against_cancer,_heart_and_bone_disease

Edit: just to add that vitamin D can also be obtained as an oral spray which is ideal for those with gut issues.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Really must get my Pharos Max light set up to use for ~30mins in the morning and a similar time topup if I’m home before ~1600.

Never tried VitD supplements.

tdog
    Free Member

Thread tagged!

The only things I have tried are vit D capsules and a Lumie alarm/mood light beside my bed which has a different type of light bulb.
    These two things definitely help but can’t hel but think I should buy a sad light for the evenings.

When I originally heard about sad lights, I thought how on earth does that work imaging one would be wearing an odd contraption on head like miners do.

darrell
    Free Member

for SAD – no

for general health – yes

ps I live in Norway

and all year round, and D3 tablets

footflaps

and a Lumie alarm/mood light beside my bed which has a different type of light bulb.

I had one the original ones, was just a crappy 40W bulb inside, which was next to useless…

stom86
    Free Member

I’ve been taking 10,000 IU of D3 daily for the last year or so. Seems like good stuff.

I have also started taking Magnesium a couple of months ago. I’ve always been prone to muscle cramps and there are all sorts of things that can deplete magnesium besides the vit D, so it seemed like a good idea to supplement the magnesium as well.

kbomb
    Free Member

There is lots of research going on at the moment that suggests there is a link between low vitamin D levels, and an increased risk of developing Multiple Sclerosis.

It seems there are plenty of good reasons to take Vitamin D if you’re struggling for sunlight.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve been taking 10,000 IU of D3 daily for the last year or so. Seems like good stuff.

All year round? Or just Winter?

darrell
    Free Member

here in Norway, people are generally advised to take D3 the whole year if they are not getting enough sun (ie not active outdoors and covering up from the sun in the summer) or supplement a diet with as much oily fish as possible or fish oil

but really there is not enough sunlight up here for half of the year so its really important

stom86
    Free Member

All year round? Or just Winter?

All year round. The rational behind taking vitamin D year round is the idea that the UK is far enough North that we aren’t exposed to enough sunlight even in the summer.

My Dr did have my vitamin D levels tested at one point in the past, before I started taking supplements. They found low enough levels for them to proscribe supplementation. I now err on the side of too much rather than too little.

vongassit
    Free Member

4+ years on D3 5000iu all year round as I live in the Highlands, I’d swear it works (wanksock) 😀

Aint had a cold or flu in that time either

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I’m on d3 vit D. More energy, get less worse colds.

cinnamon_girl

@ darrell – is it supplied by the health service to adults and children?

@ stom86 – it would be useful to know the low number to use as a base line, regardless it’s easy to test, costs £28 and could give peace of mind re toxicity. It is a huge dosage.

http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/index.html

dannybgoode

The body is essentially useless at metabolising oral D3. It’s why you need quite such stupendous doses.

Much better to try and get 10-15 minutes of exposure to daylight – even in the winter this will be beneficial.

tjagain

Most of those huge does will simply and literally mean money pissed away

I have been taking vit d 800iu daily – the recommended dose ( I keep forgetting to take it tho) It has had a noticeable effect on my general health although its 50 / 50 its placebo for me. I was tested and found to be badly insufficient with serum level of 16 iirc and with some possible symptoms. don’t mix medical evidence based practice up with nonsense on the net and don’t waste your money on ludicously high doses
    https://cks.nice.org.uk/vitamin-d-deficiency-in-adults-treatment-and-prevention#!scenario

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone take Vit D supplements to alleviate SAD symptoms?’ is closed to new replies.