Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone switched from Sky HD to Virgin TiVo?
  • Hadge
    Free Member

Mulling over switching from Sky HD to Virgin TiVo as I’m an existing Virgin phone/broadband customer and they’re offering a fair deal regarding better broadband for me plus a deal on the tv package as well. But I was wondering who also has switched over from Sky HD and was it better and or easier to use etc. I’ve been with Sky for a very long time and so no tied into any deals with them, so I might see what they’ll do for me as a loyal customer and if they’re not even going bother that might sway me to switch as well.

iain1775
    Free Member

yes
    Its better
    can record more programmes at once than with Sky
    The Tivo box is a bit clunky to use compared to Sky but you soon get used to it, the in built features – internet TV, catch up etc are all better
    And we have HD multiroom (standard V box in 2nd room still has iplayer wetc built in but no record) at no extra cost whereas with Sky it would have been £20 a month
    Their internet however, well its better than Sky but the wireless router is pants, very poor signal strength and keeps cutting out

Merlinman

Use the Virgin ‘Superhub’ as a modem and add a decent wireless router – it’s a pants piece of wireless kit!

nickewen
    Free Member

We’ve got a TiVo box in th house am in at the mo and although the on demand has a great selection of stuff it has several times cutout / started jumping etc mid programme. I think this is to do with th tivos built in modem but not too sure.. Very frustrating when halfway thru a programme and you’re unable to watch the remainder. A re-boot normally sorts it but by then my tea is cold! This aside the speed/response of normal operations is still slower than sky. Virgin have closed the gap a little since the v+ box but still slower. Agree with comments above about router signal being frankly awful. Had sky + in th past and will be getting sky + hd in th near future for sure.

sadmadalan

We moved from Sky+ to V+HD and now to TiVo. We live in a Virgin cabled area, so always had their broadband, but we had BT phone as well – so moved the whole lot to Virgin

The TiVo box interface is not as good as the Sky box, but is catching up Can be a bit slow some days and needs a regular reboot. However it does have three tuners, no dish to get distributed by weather/trees and a dedicated BB link for iPlayer (etc). We have now got used to it and find it very good. The old V+HD box is in another room, installed at no extra cost and costs nothing per month. Does not record any more (settings changed by Virgin) but a lot cheaper than Sky’s offering

jota180
    Free Member

If you’re an F1 HD fan – Virgin don’t do it

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Have virgin BB and telephone due to piss poor telephone line into house, cant fault it.

The Tivo? If you’re used to Sky be prepared to be grossly dissapointed and frustrated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone switched from Sky HD to Virgin TiVo?’ is closed to new replies.