• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone successfully received compensation for a destroyed item by Royal Mail?
  • Lakes_Puma

I sent a portable battery/usb charger through Royal Mail, took it into a Post Office said what it was and the package even had the Li-Po sticker on the outside.

It was accepted and posted signed for so covered for compensation.

Royal Mail then destroyed it and let me know afterwards (how courteous!) and PO are refusing to pay the compensation to the value of the item.

I’ve provided all paperwork to PO but they still refused.

Anyone had similar situation and been successful?

Lakes_Puma

These are the regs:

Batteries – lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in/connected to an electronic device

Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, Section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    These items must be presented at a Post Office counter.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited.

willard

Sounds like you were covered to me. Small claims court?

yetidave
    Free Member

I had a bike dropped (literally) off by RM a couple of years ago. Fairly clear that RM had done the damage as the rear axle spacer could not be removed from the now damaged frame. Couple of quotes to repair damage and RM paid straight away. no problems.

pb2

Had a tussle with parcel force a good few years ago, claimed for £1,200 of damage to a £10,000 clock I shipped to Germany. Someone had played what I assume was either football or rugby with it.

The clock was inside a hand made heavy wooden protective box and that had over an inch of heavy duty impact absorbing sponge on the inside to protect the clock.

It was also clearly marked fragile. glass etc which I think only encourages their bad employees to kick it about.

They tried numerous ways to block/disqualify my claim but a short sharp solicitors letter brought them to their senses.

My instinct says it would be harder today

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone successfully received compensation for a destroyed item by Royal Mail?’ is closed to new replies.