Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • anyone stripped & rebuilt a shimano caliper?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

The Saint M810 brakes on my Blur are pretty screwed after having sat unused for a few months. One piston is completely seized on the front, more I suspect on the back. I’ve tried all reasonable methods to free up the front one (all four were stuck, got three moving) so I suspect the next step is to strip & rebuild the caliper. Before I start (& regret it) is this a bad idea & best left to the LBS? cheers.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shimano calipers aren’t normally servicable. Due to lack of spares available.

pedalhead
    Free Member

uh-oh, I hope I’m not looking at 2 x £80 for new calipers! 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

there’s nothing to stop you taking it apart and having a look / clean…

get some o-ring tools if you’re going to try and dig the seals out.

pedalhead
    Free Member

there’s nothing to stop you taking it apart and having a look / clean…

ah yes, but opening stuff up just to “have a look” tends to end in disaster ’round these parts :-). nevertheless, if they’re screwed anyway, I think it’s the only option.

takisawa2

If you need any ‘O’ rings give me a shout, being in pneumatics we’ve generally got a few 100k knocking about.

pedalhead
    Free Member

fantastic, thanks 🙂

13thfloormonk

takisawa2, thats interesting, have you ever investigated Shimano seals?

I did a web search for suppliers of small lip seals but didn’t get very far, do you reckon they’d be generic enough that your company would have them?

andyl
    Free Member

Do you have a picture of the seals? Email them to me if you do as I would be interested in seeing if I can get seals for them just in case.

I have a few companies I source seals from for spray equipment.

Northwind

I just treated them like motorbike calipers- pumped out pistons, removed seals, cleaned everything up, refitted with a wee bit rubber grease… One of them came back to life, the other didn’t.

Don’t know your specific caliper but for the XT/SLX/Deore/older XTR and possibly new ones, the pistons and seals are all identical so when I needed a seal for my XT caliper I bought a cheapo XTR 960 caliper off Ebay for £15, got 2 sets of seals, 2 pistons, and some brand new pads. Nice. But can’t promise this’ll work for you.

Trimix
    Free Member

Pedalhead – I enjoyed the slight reference to my plight in that comment 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

haha, you noticed that, eh 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘anyone stripped & rebuilt a shimano caliper?’ is closed to new replies.