Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone seen the Fall (Mark E Smith) lately?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Surprised Mark E Smith is still alive but was surprised to find the Fall are playing near me on Fri night, thinking of going as I used to love them in the late 70’s to early 90’s, but before I fork out on a ticket anyone seen them more recently? It could be crap and might be disappointing I guess, or on the other hand..

akira

It’s the fall, it will be crap but not necessarily disappointing.

binners

After the holocaust all that will be left is Mark E Smith, wandering the desolate wastes looking for people to swear and throw bottles at

mrmoofo

They are in BTN soon – TBH, I think they would probably make the Libertines look professional

Harry_the_Spider

Saw them a few times back in the day. It really was pot luck whether they would be any good or not.

ElShalimo

He never could sing very well, so he can’t be any worse than in their heyday.
    😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

An old man ranting incoherently whilst someone plays dundundundundundundundundundundundun derder derdun on bass very slightly out of time.
    It’ll be ACE!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Didn’t he get a cameo on ‘twin peaks’?

MRW I found this gif and planned to use it as a MRW gif

doris5000

Mods – can someone merge this with the ‘Best Before Date Roulette’ thread? 😉

seen them twice – once in 1998 (appallingly bad), once in 2002 (quite good). A mate saw them in about 2008, said they were on pretty good form then…

CountZero

seen them twice – once in 1998 (appallingly bad), once in 2002 (quite good). A mate saw them in about 2008, said they were on pretty good form then…

‘Bout like Bob Dylan, then; 50/50 on whether he’s going to be brilliant or a self-indulgent cock.

markrh
    Free Member

I saw them 3 years ago, they were good. Mark hid behind the drummer for a song or two half way through the gig but other than that there were no ‘moments’.
    They’re on at the Assembly in Leamington soon, was thinking go going..

boxelder

Yes, a few years ago, supported by John cooper clark. Ace

kayak23

They’re on at the Assembly in Leamington soon, was thinking go going..

Yeah, me too… Hmmm.. 50/50?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I saw them back in their heyday. In the middle of the last song which had an instrumental outro Smith picked up his jacket off the stage and waited looking bored at the back of the stage for the band to finish and then sauntered off without any acknowledgement to the crowd. Brilliant gig! 🙂

markrh
    Free Member

Right, i’m going to the Leamington gig. Anyone else going from these parts, if so fancy meeting up?

Northwind

Who’s in the band now?

OK, who’s in the band now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are variable live but still genius IMO.

Not seen them for 10 years.

CountZero

Mark E Smith’s rather idiosyncratic vocal style has always put me off The Fall, I have one Fall song in my music library, and that’s Early Days Of Channel Führer, from a 2005 sampler given away with The Word magazine.

RustySpanner

🙂

Depends how pissed/arsed he is and who’s in the band.

Considering 75% of people who own a musical instrument in Manchester have been in The Fall, it’s all a bit pot luck.

Might as well go, he’s not going to be here for ever.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve never seen them, now I definitely want to!

As good a reason as any to blow the dust off this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPTpBoYVD8Q[/video]

bodgy
    Free Member

Considering 75% of people who own a musical instrument in Manchester have been in The Fall, it’s all a bit pot luck.

😀

gordimhor

Seen them twice both times in the early 80s.First one was really good second time the band /smith were trying to provoke the crowd I walked out.

RustySpanner

CountZero – Member
    Mark E Smith’s rather idiosyncratic vocal style has always put me off The Fall,

🙂

This is a great cover of theirs, he’s almost like a young Sinatra.
    😀

Give it a go.
    [video]https://youtu.be/D0bZofM6EOU[/video]

Filmed in a brilliant boozer btw.
    Holt’s house.
    2 for 1 on main courses during the week.
    Don’t drink the Diamond. It might have won awards, for what, God knows, but it utterly destroys me.

Harry_the_Spider

The Woodthorpe and is that Brix?

Can’t beat a pint of Holt’s fake Guinness. Much better than the real stuff and about 8p a pint.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Mark E Smith’s rather idiosyncratic vocal style has always put me off The Fall

You just don’t get them. From someone who claims to know their music, this gives me a lol.

Rusty, I knew you were alright

johnx2
    Free Member

Ha! Brix, who went off with Cat-gut Vioh-laytar Nige Kennedy. Saw em about four times round 1980 when I landed in Manc. Bit of a frustrating watch.

redstripe
    Free Member

I wimped out going tonight, well actually forgot until just now, spent the £22 ticket price on weekend beer instead, maybe a wise choice.

My favourite Fall stuff and going to see them a lot was from about mid to late 80’s, probably when Brix was in them. I see she is playing their stuff now as ‘The Extricated’ – looked at some youtube clips, instruments sound great, not sure about her trying to sing though. 6 music seem to be giving her a fair amount of airtime now.

dogmatix

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought part of the experience/drama of seeing the Fall live was finding out what shade of disinterested he is on the night? I saw them about 10 years ago too. I think he was about an hour late.

pnik

I saw them at reading festival in ’87 pretty unmemorable, but to be fair i was there for some mediocre goth crap in hindsight.
    Friend saw them in worthing a few years back and a member of the audience took over vocals fairly early on and blew everyone away, allegedly.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Spartacus? I am Mark E Smith

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFkzC8lTmg[/video]

CountZero

You just don’t get them. From someone who claims to know their music, this gives me a lol.

Nice deliberate misinterpretation of what I said. I do know my music, I’ve been listening to music since I was five, and I’ve heard a lot of The Fall’s songs over the years, it’s Smith’s vocal phrasing I have a problem with, I find it irritating enough to make it difficult to listen to them. This isn’t restricted to The Fall, I found Richard Thompson’s voice difficult to get past for years; despite that, I bow to no-one in my undying respect for the man, his songwriting and his spectacular skill as a guitarist.
    Maybe it’s like Guiness and olives, I now appreciate his voice as a singer, and live he’s a wonderful performer.
    There, is that clear enough for you to understand?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do know my music, I’ve been listening to music since I was five

Well done

There, is that clear enough for you to understand?

Lol. Hit a nerve?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen the Fall (Mark E Smith) lately?’ is closed to new replies.