Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone running X Fusion Slant?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Is anyone running Xfusion Slants? I’m finding my 150mm Revs pretty flexy when the going gets tough.

Interested in opinions on the Slants, small bump and damping performance…

Cheers

Ricks

sprocker
    Free Member

I have had a set for about 4 months really impressed for the money. They are noticeably stiffer than revs and I have found the small bump pretty good now they are worn in and I have got the air pressure right (15 psi less than recommended).

Scapegoat

Yes, they are stiffer than revs without doubt. I run mine sagged a bit more than recommended too. Small bump is great straight out of the box, looking forward to seeing what they’re like run in, and I haven’t found the bottom yet. Rebound damping is well adjustable, still finding the right setting to go with the RP23, but the whole bike and setup is new anyway.

winch
    Free Member

I’m running them on my Dialled Alpine which I use for a bit of everything, but certainly favour the more steep and rough side of what people usually ride on a hardtail. In short they get a bit of a hammering.

Depending on the terrain, I find I need to run the recommended pressures or even a bit higher to give enough support. This does affect the small bump compliance but not intolerably so. Damping wise I’d put them on a par with an RLT Rev. I’m not convinced the “mid valve” is doing a lot for me, but I’m 95kg’s. Lighter guys may find it helps keep the fork up.

I have got the air pressure right (15 psi less than recommended).

I can’t imagine running the pressure so low, even at 10 psi below recommended I can bottom the thing out just by pressing down on the front end.

Stiffness wise they are lots better than Revs. In my opinion you’d not be far wrong to think of them as a beefed up RLT Rev. I’m pretty happy with them overall, but can’t help but wonder if the Pikes would have been worth the extra. Maybe I’m just fussy though!

mikeep
    Free Member

I went from revs to Slants on my Mojo HD. Took them to the Apls for two weeks of battering and they were great.

Really stiff coming from revs and tracked excellently. I run about 5psi below recommendation. They are quite long to check the axle to crown against the revs.

I did consider Pikes at the time but wasn’t sure about their bladder damper plus I couldn’t get them in time for the alp trip.

Never tried Pikes but I’m very happy with the slants – Buy ’em 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My slants are night and day compared to the revs and sektors they replaced.

The stiffness being the main improvement and I’ve noticed no dive or damper problems.

Mine are lowered to 150mm and for the price I do t see what you could get better.

Speshpaul

Have a word with James at Jtech, not only does he sell Xfusion, he also does a little mod to the compression damping that takes some of that harshness out.
    my slides were good before, now they are great.

daveh
    Free Member

They don’t sound right winch, I’m 100kg and find them very progressive. I think I’m 10-15psi below recommended too!

dmw536
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting some of these this week, I’m just curious whether they suffer for lack of compression damping. I’ve considered getting the new pikes but would I notice the difference in the real world for the sake of 200 quid? I’m no pro racer, just a guy with a bike that likes to point it downhill.

Speshpaul

they are a great fork for the money, in fact the price does not reflect what you are getting for your money.
    the Xfusions tend to be a little on the harsh side in the first part of the travel. Most people tend to run them with a little less air in them. I’ve had the compression tuned a little by JTech, which has ironed out the issue and was a cheap fix.
    I’m well chuffed. I’d buy another pair tomorrow.

wiggles
    Free Member

looking to buy some soon can’t justify the cost of pikes even if they were made by Jesus according to the reviews.

Emailed jtech as might need a bit of tuning to suit my aggressive riding style*

*support my weight

dmw536
    Free Member

very interesting! I’ve also emailed j tech to see what they can do for me! If they are noticeably cheaper than pikes then I guess its got to be worth a go. Not read a bad word about them yet really bar the slightly harsh ride mentioned above.

winch
    Free Member

For me they could do with a little more compression damping, not less. I wouldn’t agree that they are harsh in the first part of their travel. At recommended pressure mine are very plush. I just get through the travel a bit more easily than I’d like. I’d like them to be a little less linear/more progressive. I guess this is personal preference since my view seems to be at odds with the majority. All said though, still a great fork.

Kuco

I had a cartridge blow but other than that its been a great fork.

dmw536
    Free Member

For me they could do with a little more compression damping, not less. I wouldn’t agree that they are harsh in the first part of their travel. At recommended pressure mine are very plush. I just get through the travel a bit more easily than I’d like. I’d like them to be a little less linear/more progressive. I guess this is personal preference since my view seems to be at odds with the majority. All said though, still a great fork.

I guess this depends so much on weight and riding style and what terrain that its hard to be perfect for everyone.
    I suppose thats why you pay more for something with high and low speed compression adjust like the pikes.

dmw536
    Free Member

I’ve now ordered a set of these from James at J Tech, very nice guy. Will report back how good they are after a test in a week or so!

jairaj

How much are they? and does that include any mods or just standard set up?

dmw536
    Free Member

Not sure if its frowned upon to put prices on here for people but it was below the RRP put it that way. And yes that includes a compression adjustment for my weight. Bit more waiting obviously but he’s a really nice chap and responds incredibly quickly to emails! Gets my vote so far 8)

jairaj

Thanks good enough for me, might be sending him a email too.

Currently running 2010 Revs which are absolutely fine but I fancy something new 😀

sprocker
    Free Member

I run the 10 psi which probably does mean it dives a bit more but I prefer an active fork and to use the travel and let the stiffness of the fork keep it tracking well. Great fork out the box for me

Scamper
    Free Member

Now at 95kg plus finding I’m running mine at 120psi. Any less and they are easily bottomed out by the car park test at 130mm.

Does anyone else find initial resistance from the dust seals when setting sag?

rickon
    Free Member

Resistance on the wiper seals could be overcome with bedding in, or a smear of grease on the seals 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Tried that, a bit better but still there. Looking at the on line stuff, x fusion do seem to indicate stuffing a fair amount of grease down the seals though

rickon
    Free Member

What grease are you using? I’d recommend Slick Grease, as it’s very thin, and paste on a good amount.

Scamper
    Free Member

Rs judy butter, which I believe is like slick honey

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Winch, How old/when did you get your forks?

I got some velvet DLA forks that blow through the travel, got it sorted/fixed, went from ok fork to a top fork!

email me and I might be able to help/point to in the right direction 😀

winch
    Free Member

Mtb – I’ve just emailed you.

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve had fox vanillas, old coil pikes & 2 sets of air revs and the slants are by far the most progressive forks I’ve had, and that’s with 10/15 psi less air than recommended. Id be getting them checked out if theyre blowing through their travel.

gravityfreak
    Free Member

If you are bottoming your fork out easily it’s an easy fix; simply add oil to your air chamber (there is already oil there so this is a safe thing to do).

An easy way to do this is by removing the valve core of the air valve and using a syringe to squirt oil in(or remove oil if you overdo it). Oil weight isn’t important – so 5 / 7.5 / 10 weight fork oil is fine. Start with adding 10ml. Reduce your fork pressure to that recommended for your weight and try it out. If it is impossible to bottom – remove a few ml of oil (can turn your bike upside down and let a small amount of oil drain from the valve using a small screw driver etc to depress the valve core). Alternatively, leave the (extra) oil volume alone and try a lower air pressure. Doing this will allow you to run more sag while still preventing harsh bottom out. I’ve done the above and it works perfectly and uses the same principle as the rubber inserts RS Pike uses to reduce volume.

If you desire more compression damping – an easy fix is to use a heavier weight oil in your damper. Not sure what stock is but I think 7.5. With the massive range of rebound damping available you have nothing to worry about in having too much rebound damping as a result.

rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Cheers for all the replies – I’ve got a couple of questions for owners of the Slant…

How do they sit in their travel? Compared to Rockshox, which I find fun 10-15mm less than their available travel, do to the negative air spring.

What I’m interested in is how long they’re going to actually be A2C when on the bike, sagged.

As I’m running a 150 Rev at the moment, but will sit at about 140. Plus this is a straight steerer, so I have an internal cup. With the slant it would be 10mm more travel, plus the external cup, plus a bit more A2C overall, plus what the sag is like.

So… it may mean that I lower them to 140, so that I end up with a similar HA and front end height to what I have with the Rev.

Anyone help chaps 🙂

Cheers

Ricks

jairaj

I literally have no idea what you’re on about. The fork will sit where ever you set the sag to. If you set to 10% the fork will sit higher up if you set it to 30% it will sit lower down.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running X Fusion Slant?’ is closed to new replies.