Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone running Superstar cx wheels tubeless?
  • benman
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a set of superstar switch hubs on alexrim black dragon rims for my cx bike:

Superstar CX disc wheels

On the superstar site they claim that the rims are tubeless, but I can’t find any info to support this on the (rather poor) Alexrims website.

Is anyone running these wheels / rims tubeless?

If so, what are you using? Stans yellow tape?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

No, but I’ve run Open Pros tubeless in the past and I just taped them up and they were fine. Initially I use dthe Stans tape but after that I swapped to 3M crossweave which was also fine, and a damn site cheaper.

I’d be interested in a review of the wheels, as I’m tempted.

benman
    Free Member

Just had a reply from Superstar saying that it should be fine with Stans style yellow tape. I’ll give it a go once the wheels arrive.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Have you got the wheels, and what are your thoughts?

benman
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been out of the country. Got the wheels, but not had a proper ride on them yet. Going to try and set them up tubeless tonight.

They don’t feel uber-light (but are approximately the advertised weight) but seem pretty stiff from the quick spin I have had.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a no-holds-barred, balanced, informative review would be most appreciated.

benman
    Free Member

Okay here goes…

As previously mentioned, prior to receiving the wheels I asked Superstar if they could be used tubeless (they were advertised as such). I was told I would just need yellow tape, valves and stans fluid.

When the wheels arrived all looked good. I taped up the first rim with yellow tape and then fitted the tyres – alarm bells! The tyre went on far too easily. When I tried to inflate the tyre it was impossible – air just escaped everywhere, the tyre was not a tight enough fit.

I emailed Superstar who apologised and said it was a typo on the website. The rims are not ‘tubeless ready’.

I have since returned the wheels, and bought the Stans Iron Cross on Tesla hubs from Superstar. I’m now running these tubeless, and they have been faultless so far.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Superstar cx wheels tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.