Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone running Minion DHF 29 x 2.5s?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Seem to be the best all rounder Maxxis, experiences?

BillOddie

Yep, have run one on the front of my Chromag with a 2.4 ardent at the back. Great allrounder.

No complaints but have swapped out to a Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord for when it’s filthy out (thats now then) and to a Ardent Front, Crossmark rear for when something really fast rolling is needed.

mboy
    Free Member

Fantastic front tyre! Tonnes of grip get relatively light (Folding MaxxTerra 3C version I’m using is 1kg dead) and still a lot faster rolling than an equivalent High Roller.

Got a 2.3″ DHR2 on the rear of my bike for a brilliant pairing.

grizzpup
    Free Member

I had the 2.5s and thought they were a bit heavy and swapped to the 2.3s – much better. As mboy above I have mine paired with DHR2 on the rear and they are awesome

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m a bit tight and tend to buy tyres in matching pairs and swap them over to evenly wear them. Maybe one would be overkill for the back, but would be a super grippy pairing I guess. Not that fussed about rear rolling resistance.

mboy
    Free Member

I had the 2.5s and thought they were a bit heavy and swapped to the 2.3s – much better

2.3″ is good, but there’s only 100g in it, and the 2.5″ is quite a bit more agressive. I like the 2.3 on the front of my HT, but I tend to ride a lot harder on my FS and the 2.5 gives me quite a lot more confidence to push it.

coastkid
    Free Member

Used to run em, ace tyres, good mud shedding ability and grip, needed to use the 2.35 in the rear of the KM,
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/p7ZDbU]Karate Monkey – Mid Nov Woods cycle 003[/url] by Bruce, on Flickr

Rolling with 3″ now on the Krampus but could fit these for a real muddy weekends ride 🙂

clubby

Width wise, how do they come up compared to a 2.35 schwalbe? I have a 26 x 2.5 dhf on one bike but it’s narrower than a 29 X 2.4 Ardent. Quite fancy a dhf for the back of the Jones for summer, currently running a muddy marry 2.35″ which just fits with adequate clearance.

mboy
    Free Member

2.5″ Minion is slightly bigger than a 2.35″ Hans Dampf, but it’s close.

Northwind

Really rate it myself, yeah it’s heavy and slow rolling but it grips like a bastard. I’ve never got up from a crash and gone “well at least the tyre was light”.

Haven’t measured it! I must be slipping…

BillOddie

Width wise, how do they come up compared to a 2.35 schwalbe? I have a 26 x 2.5 dhf on one bike but it’s narrower than a 29 X 2.4 Ardent. Quite fancy a dhf for the back of the Jones for summer, currently running a muddy marry 2.35″ which just fits with adequate clearance.

In 29er flavour, 2.4 ardent and 2.5 minion use the same casing. the extra .1 of an inch is down to the bitier side lugs.

The 26 tyres are (or at least were) on the old Maxxis casing (ie anorexic) sizing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Minion DHF 29 x 2.5s?’ is closed to new replies.