Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone running a roadrat as a CX bike?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

I fancy changing a few parts on the roadrat and running it as a SS CX bike.

Anyone doing the same, does it work?

Looking to run 44×18 gear, but not sure if this will be too big. It seems that is the smallest 1/8" chainring I can get for 135PCD cranks. I'll change the cranks if its going to be too hard.

ro222
    Free Member

I asked the guys at Cotic about doing a 'cross bike to which they said run the roadrat and it should work ok.

Just found this:
    http://mulebar.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-first-cx-race-on-cotic-road-rat.html

and this:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-546505.html

mtbmatt
    Free Member

thanks. Good to know the geometry is suitable.

ourmaninthenorth

Good to know the geometry is suitable.

Really? One of the things about Cotics is the sloping top tube. Not sure how that is any use for CX – I say this as I do a bit of aCX on my Soul, and it's a sod to get my arm through the frame for the carries.

ro222
    Free Member

Don't need to now – they do a 'cross bike..!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Are you thinking CX as in racing or CX as in general "do it all" capability?

I'm running my drop bar roadrat with a 42:18 ratio, tektro mini v's and Schwalbe Smart Sam cross tyres. It's brilliant. Great for the typical "quick blast" rides I do locally which are a mix of tarmac and offroad- eats up the miles on road and absolutely rips through woody singletrack. To be honest, my other "proper" MTB rarely gets a look in these days.

My next upgrade will be some Avid road BB7s as I'm fed up with the rim brakes getting clogged, but apart from that I'm changing nowt. Really would be my desert island bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

44-18 is ok for road but 36/34-16 is nearer the mark for cx racing.Well thats what I've been using for the nw league events so far and it seems about right!

Clink

36/34-16 is nearer the mark for cx racing

I agree

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Clink/Rorschach: any chance of posting pics of how yours looks in CX mode? ta in advance.

Clink

any chance of posting pics of how yours looks in CX mode?

My roadrat is currently 1×9 as my commuter. My Pompino is 36/16 which I've used for cx – no pics though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a roadrat as a CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.