Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone running a GUB (not gubbed…) Ceramic BB…?
  • rickmeister

I have just bought a GUB Ceramic for £34 posted from HongKong…. worth a punt I thought… as my Hope Ceramic BB needs a new bearing at £24.

What is likely to be coming my way… any opinions?

lovewookie

Yep, have been running one for the last couple of months. You’ll get something that looks nice and shiny, spins almost worryingly freely, has no play in it, and will last, well, at least a couple of months.

Mine is showing no signs of giving up the ghost yet, though i may gently pop the seals off to check the grease situation….maybe, of I’ll just leave it be until it feels gritchy.

I thought it was too good to be true, but it seems good so far.

BTW I’ve killed enduro BB bearings and shimano XTR’s in 3-6 months, if this lasts that long I’ll be happy (plus I have nice gold anodised cups to push in replacement bearings….)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bought one a while ago too. but I’ve had an issue with size.
    My frame has a 68mm BB shell, so I used all 3 spacers as required.
    When riding last week, the left crank fell off! It turned out to have inadequate crank axle to clamp onto.
    Later, I removed the BB, took out 2 of the spacers, and it all fits now. In short, it looks like they were designed for 63/68, not 68/73mm shells.
    Just emailed allez-bike to see what they think.

Otherwise, its great. Spins smoothly, and haven’t had a chance to properly test it on a wet muddy ride yet. Shucks.

lovewookie

interesting, mine is in an old cannondale, 68mm bb shell too. everything fits nicely.

Maybe a bad batch?

lovewookie

Thought I’d resurrect this one,

My GUB Ceramic BB has died. It’s not gritchy, it’s not crunchy, it does have a reasonable amount of play in it though.

Shame really, I whipped off the bearing seals and yep, very little grease in there!

I have a set of stainless bearings and some decent marine waterproof grease on their way so we’ll see how they fair.

I think they would last a fair bit longer with a decent amount of quality grease in there. There wasn’t that much in the way of dirt, just not a lot of grease.

rickmeister

Mine still ticking over after a intense two weeks in Livigno and Finale Ligure. Enough dust and crap there too. I asked my LBS about ceramic bearings and they said self lubing, no grease required so I have just left it as-is… still working…

lovewookie

Fair enough, not heard about the self lubing properties of hybrid bearings like these (silicon nitride balls and steel races) so will be interesting to see.

To be fair I think it was a bit of corrosion of the races that made mine go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a GUB (not gubbed…) Ceramic BB…?’ is closed to new replies.