Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone run with a baby buggy? what recommendations?
  • richen987
    Free Member

Hi,

My boy is old enough now to run with in a buggy, and wondering if anyone had any experience of any they would like to share or recommendations for one?

I am a keen runner so want to combine a few of my runs with naps so seems like an ideal opportunity.

Also if anyone has one that they would like to move on I would be interested.

Been looking at the BOB ironman or the Bugaboo Runner (as we have the rest of the Bugaboo system) at the moment, but happy to take recommendations on anything else.
    It will only be used for running, as we have a Bugaboo for everyday use.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Thank you.

irelanst
    Free Member

One of the ladies in my club uses a “bugaboo runner”, it must be OK because she holds the marathon world record for a mother pushing a pram (3:17).

sweaman2
    Free Member

I run with a Chariot Cougar 1 in run mode. Some comments to consider (not sure how much it applies to others but things to look out for).

The Cougar is modular so the run mode is a single wheel that you clip into the front. Tracking is much more critical at running pace than walking and so something that is either very fixed or easy to fine tune is good.

The catch strap isn’t really long enough for me and is fixed on the left hand side where as I prefer to run holding with my right so I’ve had to rig another. I initially was skeptical of the strap but downhill you’re only one trip away from loosing control (see next point)

It’s amazing how fast 50lb of Chariot + toddler accelerates downhill. Some versions come with disk brakes and if I ran more I’d seriously consider a braked version.

It’s amazing how slow 50lb of Chariot + toddler can be when you’re pushing uphill.

I tried all sorts of add-ons for bottles and the like but they just added phaff.

grahamt1980

Chariot cx1 with running wheel.
    Means you can use the same one as a trailer too.
    Comes with suspension and disc brakes, as someone else said they accelerate downhill really fast if you don’t catch it

riddoch

I have the BOB sport utility (and it’s for sale), it’s the chunky tyre version of the ironman. They are quite good training as they provided bit of resitance. You need a strap that is long enough to let you push in front so you basically run behind it for a couple of strides otherwise if you are holding onto the handle it can feel a bit unbalanced. It’s suggested you tie the strap to the axle rather than the handle so if you trip so you stop the buggy without tipping.
    The BOB has a fixed front wheel on it doesn’t veer off in random directions but it’s still surprisingly manoeuvrable, light pressure on the handlebar is all that’s needed to correct or change direction.
    My daughter really loved going for a run. Not sure what the chariot is like but the BOB has a simple seat so not ideal for as young as would be for a standard buggy.

richen987
    Free Member

thank you all for your comments,
    hadn’t really considered the weight thing, so that’s a really good tip.
    fortunately living in the South it’s pretty flat with few hills, and will mainly be used around the local park and roads.
    the longer strap is a good idea as well, push run catch up etc.
    Tracking will be fairly critical, but i assume easy to sort with some form of screws in r=the wheel slot.
    Thank you for the tips,

also 3:17 for a marathon with a buggy ……… :o, only 22mins quicker than my best marathon time without one ……

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

They’re not as fast as you’d think – when I was running with one I was surprised that the mother was able to run after me and catch me to get her baby and pram back…. 😀

djglover
    Free Member

I used to use a Croozer kid for 2 as a bike and running buggy when my twins were small. was great

hatter

Chariot CX here, I use it mainly for riding but now our eldest can cycle at a fair clip the missus takes out little one out jogging in the Chariot with him riding along with them.

We’ve used it regularly as an off road buggy for both children over the past few years and the disc brakes are very handy, you really miss them when you have to go back to manhandling a normal pushchair down a hill.

simon_g

Also Chariot Cougar 1 here, although I’m a casual runner at best. Bought primarily as a bike trailer but works fine for a jog around the park too.

roper
    Free Member

I used a Bob Ironman when I was training for an ultra. The safety stop strap is very good for peace of mind. You can also get great rain and sun shields. The rain one gives good visibility and ventilation to the little one and keeps them very dry. The sun shield is a full cover so it also protects them from flying bugs as well as the sun. I also had a drinks and food console on the push bar which took two bike bottles and room for energy bars. It also has a good stride distance for running down hill fast.
    I can’t compare it to others but was always impressed using it. I have very fond memories running with my boy in it so was pretty faff free.

beamers

Chariot CX1 here too. The brakes on it are really handy when running down hill with it. They are operated by one brake lever mounted on the handle bars. I may be wrong but I think the current version only has a foot operated parking brake which wouldn’t be any good for slowing it down when chasing it downhill.

LHS
    Free Member

Bob Ironman one here. Can’t recommend it more highly. We must have covered over 2000 miles in it now and it is still as solid and smooth as when it was brand new. Adjustable handle and safety strap are good, I am 6ft 4 and my wife is 5ft4 and both very comfortable when running with it. Also lockable front wheel is a must to ensure it doesn’t dig in and flip the stroller over.

richen987
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, it’s much appreciated, have lined up a few demos to give some a go.
    Interested in the chariots as had not considered them before, as will only be used for running.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run with a baby buggy? what recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.