• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone run Mavic 721's tubeless?
  • flowerman
    Free Member

Just purchased a set, and I was wondering if I could run them tubeless? They would be on my downhill bike with Magic Mary SG vertstars which I hear work well with the tubeless system. They just seem quite narrow, and haven’t really heard anyone else running them tubeless…

Many thanks

Henry

mjsmke

If I can get my old 717’s to run tubeless which are narrower (17mm rather than your 21mm) i’m sure you’l be fine. I used one layer of stars tape then 2 layers of Gorilla tape for a tighter fit.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just whap some joes rim strips on top of the cloth tape and away you go

al

I find tyres blow off, or roll off, with 721s when tubeless. In the end I ghetto’d mine and they’ve been fine since.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I ghettoed mine and they were fine until the bike got stolen. Had a 721 on the back and a 719 on the front. Both worked well.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I run my Mavic 321s ghetto tubeless with no problems.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run them tubeless in the past, with a rimstrip.

core

I’ve got 521’s tubeless – with cloth rim tape and stans rim strips (think it’s the rhino strip you need).

Only word of warning is get tyres with a decent sidewall, specialized control carcass isn’t really strong enough for a rim of that width in a 2.3, they roll over too much and burp, a lot.

Freester

Yes I’ve just converted an EX721 using Gorilla Tape ghetto method. Using it with a Nobby Nic.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I had zero issues with hans dampf or nobby nics on en521 with stan’s rhino (?) strips

magic mary on a different rim was easy to get on the rim, but difficult to inflate. I had to resort to seating with a tube overnight.

rock razor on the same rim was difficult to get on the rim, but it went up first time with a track pump.

tomd
    Free Member

Yes, but with stans rim strips. Never had any problems.

frood
    Free Member

Gorilla tape helped it work beautifully for me. Tyre choice is important in my experience too

banks
    Free Member

Gorilla tape worked perfectly for me too.

cookeaa

I have run them tubeless with specialized an Michelin tyres, not tried schwalbe though.

I actually have one I was considering building onto an old hope hub for the HT… Wet evening I might go fish it out of the garage and start now. Cheers for the reminder…

Sui
    Free Member

Yep, my 721’s are tubeless (well front is as i’ve been a lazy sod and not taken the tube out the rear). Used hte Joes no flats kit, worked really well and very easy. I agree tyres do seem to roll a bit more when tubeless on these rims..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run Mavic 721's tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.