Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone run a dynamo hub + modern LED light?
  • fisha
    Free Member

As it says really, does anyone here run a dynamo hub and LED light from it?

any experiences?

I’m torn between a hub dynamo and a new battery front light setup … I’m just getting caught short sometimes with the battery setups at the moment ( forgetting to charge etc )

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yes, on my Brompton. It’s a Shimano hub. Works really well and good to know you’ve always got lights available all year round

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes.
    Shimano LX and Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo (and Seculite plus on the back)

Bombproof and bright.

DSC_0867 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Same as him ^^^^^

acjim
    Free Member

do any of these remain lit when stationary? (battery backup?)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, the B+M one I and ir_bandito use comes with the ‘standlight’ function. I imagine most manus. have a similar technology.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mines actually just gone back to the supplier as it wouldn’t switch off. Which isn’t a problem as such, but it just means it isn’t working correctly.

Del

solidlights in the uk seem to have gone down the dynamo route, rather than trying to keep up in the offroad lumen arms race, if looking for a uk manufacturer. not the prettiest mind.

fisha
    Free Member

For that are running hubs, do you notice much of a drag?

In terms of light output, do you find them enough? The majority of my miles are on unlit paths and roads, are they fine for that?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

For that are running hubs, do you notice much of a drag?

Yes, in the hand…. on the bike, on the move, in the dark, nope. I think I read somewhere that, for the 3W of output you get from the hub, the total drag on your forward motion is about 6W, which is about equivalent to total mechanical drag due to a well maintained geared bike (hubs, BB, seals, drivetrain etc).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

No noticeable drag IMO
    The lights draw 3W max. A small percentage as to what you produce.
    If you’re bothered, the Supernova Infinity 8 can have the magnet rotate with the axle when you turn it off, so no drag at all.

Light levels, you get what you pay for. I’ve ridden over Hartside Pass in the dark with mine. But, for the same money you can get even brighter (I went for mine for the classic polished look to go with the rest of the bike!)

STATO
    Free Member

I have a shimano Dynohub and a Schmidt Edelux light (basically a pimped up version of the Cyo above). If you lift the front and spin the wheel there is som evibration from the magnets resistance, but simply cannot feel any drag from it, i notice drag from a pannier in the wind far more.

The light is really bright on the road, brighter id say than a 1000Lumen light, BUT, the light is on the floor so it can sometimes feel like there is not enough as it dosnt spill everywhere. Not a problem really on the road but not ideal offroad. Of course the advantage is you get a really brightly lit path without blinding other road users (tho i know some of you think thats fun, to blind the driver of a fast heavy vehicle thats heading towards you).

Disadvantages, wiring looks naff, cant swap to another bike easilly, can seem expensive at first till you realise how handy it is to have light whenever you need it (i just leave mine on 99% of the time anyway)

avdave2

I want the Supernova E3 Triple. I’ve already got a SON hub but only with a halogen light which is fine on the road but useless off. The latest one is 800 lumens I believe.

fisha
    Free Member

Yeah, the triple does look very good. Quite expensive though when you’re starting the dynamo setup from scratch.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve got a DH something or other 81. DIY cree headlight and it’s very bright really good on unlit roads.

ratherbeintobago

If you’re bothered, the Supernova Infinity 8 can have the magnet rotate with the axle when you turn it off, so no drag at all.

If the lights are off, there shouldn’t be any more than minimal drag as there’s no load on the dynamo, or have I misinterpreted the physics?

Andy

fisha
    Free Member

Just as a follow up to this … I ended up getting a shimano alfine hub front wheel ( got it complete from rosebikes.de )

And then bought an supernova e3 triple as the front light ( from Bike24 )

Only had the chance to ride it once in the night, but I have to say, its really very very good.

I had been riding a homebrew light setup of twin P4’s. I’d say the e3 triple matches them in terms of light output once youre upto speed. Most of my commute is along tarmac’ed cycle paths with some on the road. the beam lights up the path and verges nicely and is more that enough to see by even if the surface is wet.

I cant say I notice the drag of the hub. I tried with the light on and off, and couldn’t notice a difference.

for commuting, its so good not to have to worry about recharging the lights. It now means I can adapt my homebrew ones to another, more powerful setup for other bikes where I know my rides are going to be shorter.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Good work fella – E3 triple is currently on my wish list 😉

emanuel
    Free Member

schmidt son(the narrow one) and edelux.
    really good.standlight.great beam for road riding.

grahamg
    Free Member

I’m in two minds… I love my Schmidt hub and B&M IQ Cyo, but that’s because I do shedloads of night riding in winter. However I rode with loads of people using Hope battery lights (with multiple rechargeable batteries) on Paris-Brest-Paris and they were amazing lights. With battery life and lens/LED technology being what it is now I don’t think it’s a performance question anymore but rather one of convenience.

emanuel
    Free Member

I agree grahamg,my troutlight is simply something else.
    The beam pattern on the edelux is better for the road though.
    And it’s great that you can never run out of charge.
    But the trout is easier to switch from bike to bike.
    A hybrid system would be great.
    (and even more expensive)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a dynamo hub + modern LED light?’ is closed to new replies.