Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone run a business from a house they've bought
  • DavidB
    Free Member

We currently operate out of a serviced office but rents are going up and we want to expand to a few more people. 4 – 6 off us. Locally there are a bazillion reasonably priced houses in residential areas and I can use some investment cash to buy one. Two of us would work there initially then get a couple more staffers/contractors as the work came in. We don’t plan to mess about with the house at all, just desks instead of furniture. I could then charge the business rent when it can afford it.

Anyone else done this? And do we *really* need to go through change of use and all that malarky. It would effectively be my house, with me home working and some others working there as well. I would do HSE audits and insure etc..

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’ll need to change its building status from residential to business and pay business rates on it. Will also need to check you can park business vehicles outside (you can’t around my house, not that it stops inconsiderate morons parking LWB transits EVERYWHERE).

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.startupdonut.co.uk/startup/business-premises/q-a-setting-up-a-home-based-business

you would probably keep under the planning radar as long as you didn’t disturb neighbours (parking off st preferable etc e.g. ) or make any substantial changes to the property.

DavidB
    Free Member

Stoner, we’ve been all over that link today. My hope is that the biggest risk is someone turns up and tells us to hop it, we subsequently have to find somewhere else and sell the place? Car parking is not really an issue neither is noise as we mainly quiet as mices

br
    Free Member

Anyone else done this? And do we *really* need to go through change of use and all that malarky. It would effectively be my house, with me home working and some others working there as well. I would do HSE audits and insure etc..

Of course you could do it, and illegally too. Also you could not tell the insurance company (nor the bank – mortgage?).

Just accept that there may be consequences.

DavidB
    Free Member

I don’t want to do it illegally. See Stoner’s link. Loads of people work from home and start businesses from there. Change of use appears to be when you impact the house or area. Mortgage is not an issue as I could if necessary liberate the funds from other sources.

midlifecrashes

There are quite a few houses around which used to be corner shops and the like. Getting one of them would probably help with change of use. You’d be in a strange spot with regard to Council tax and business rates without doing it right.

project
    Free Member

WE got offered a house on what was an industrial site, 6 houses in all, all needing repairs and maintance, but suitable for small buissness use, we didnt pursue the option of using one, due to buisness rates and change of use etc. and over a year latter theyre still empty, such a waste.

luke
    Free Member

A company i used to work for, used a bungalow as an office with about 12 people in it, I worked at a different site and they looked at moving us from an industrial estate in to a house, before the next door office became vacant and they knocked them in to one.

Sandwich

The other thing to watch out for is waste disposal. Some councils can get a little touchy about ‘commercial’ waste in the domestic waste stream. The fines can get a little pricey too.

chewkw
    Free Member

I find it extraordinary that council would rather let the shops/properties be empty then let it out cheap then complains that the economy is at fault. Bull arse!

If you ask for the reasons they would give you some anal retentive justifications shite.

Business rate etc no wonder small business are dying …

😯

Stoner
    Free Member

council would rather let the shops/properties be empty then let it out cheap

Council dont own the shops.
    Landlords do.
    Vacant premises still have the rates paid…by the landlord.
    Incentive is for the landlord to let.
    Hence charity shops on super low rents, with rates discounts (granted by the council) for their duration, short leases, while the landlord tries to get Costa coffee on the hook for a decent rent on a 15yr lease.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a business from a house they've bought’ is closed to new replies.