Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone run 1 x 8/9 spd ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Think I saw this covered already but can I just run a 1 x 9 with normal s/s crank setup or will I dump the chain at various intervals. Was going to run a short road mech on my new Roadrat ?? What are the Bonty cranks the used to fit on Cotics ? Did they have a kind of chain guard ??

Solo
    Free Member

Tinsy use to have a 1×9. Contact him.

S.

tinsy
    Free Member

On road you will probably be fine, off road you need an N gear jump stop and a bash ring,,,, or MRP just bought out a specific guide for the job.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I used an ss (taller teeth) chainring (think the chain has more chance of 'walking off' the ramps and pins of a shifty middle ring), a bashring on one side, an n-gear jumpstop on the other and took some links out of the chain for good measure. I did drop the chain on really bumpy stuff at speed but for the sort of riding you would use a roadrat for, i am sure that would be fine!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i used to have 2

the 4x bike was fine without a chainguide (plenty of chain tension and a road cassette)

XC bike could cope without a chain guide, but the chain fell off at the first right of a rock.

DMR guide is pants, just jammed at every oppertunity and wore out.

MRP system 3 guide is worth its weight in gold. Took 10min to fit and setup, didn't need bending, didn't need mountains of spacers like the DMR, didn't wear out, didnt sieze, just worked, which was nice 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Using an unramped chainring and a shortened chain it stays on well on the road and for canal towpaths and the like.

tinsy
    Free Member
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I run 1×9 on my Prince Albert. I use an unramped chainring, bashguard and a blackguard on the inside. Works well and I have never dropped the chain once. It has skipped once or twice while pedalling over the roots on an Aston hill downhill course but nothing more.

davesmith3000
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 on my Inbred,

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2463/3752798672_dae464f84e_o.jpg[/img]

I have an FSA bashguard, 3rd eye chain watcher and a 32t Salsa singlespeed ring. The chain hasn't come off so far.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I used to run a 1×8 on my roadrat, now I run 1×9 on my newest commute-build.

Used a 'high' teethed Chainring from Surly IIRC but that wasn't enough to stop the chain from dropping with some frequency. I switched to a DMR chaincage and have been 100% problem free ever since. Similar products on the market would be the old roox chaindog or the new Paul's chain-keeper…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Bashguard and blackguard:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run 1 x 8/9 spd ?’ is closed to new replies.