Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone rocking one crank arm longer than the other?
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

So I’ve been getting a sore left knee the past couple of months.

On my way home from work tonight I realised that I seem to be over-extending it on the downstroke. A quick check using the old heel-on-the-pedal method suggests that my left leg is maybe 5 mm shorter than the right.

Dropped the saddle a bit and sure enough, much comfier for the left leg. Right leg feels like its not getting enough reach now though, so I thought: why not fit a 170 mm crank arm to the LHS? Will I die? Will my knee explode?

Bez

I’m not, but some donger on here sold me a mismatched pair a few years ago. Oh what a happy chappy I was.

joemarshall
    Free Member

It’s like being in two different gears, because that leg has less leverage. It feels weird and wrong, and is not a good idea.

If your legs really are different length, then you could probably do with messing with cleats, shoes or pedals in some way to adjust.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

It might just be how you hold your legs, particularly if you’ve been worrying about pain in one leg. Or how you sit. Or that your cleats are differently adjusted on each shoe.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id just lower your saddle to the right height for that side. 5mm wont stop max power from your other let unless your planning on being an olympian ?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Your pelvis is most likely tilted, very common and easy to fix by the right osteo.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

You’ve seen my legs trail_rat, I’m pretty much Chris Hoy…

Should’ve guessed Sheldon would have some wisdom on the matter. Might try it as it is for a few days then mess with cleat spacers or saddle tilt if it still feels weird.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That’s interesting blazin-saddles, I just got a new chair at the office ‘cos I thought the old one was hurting my back. A quick Google suggests these two problems are probably related.

duffle
    Free Member

I did a couple of years back without realising :oops:. I was young and naive and its all I had!
    Didn’t find any major adverse effects

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bet its the landies clutch causing the issue. Jayne cant drive mine , tis too heavy for her.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rocking one crank arm longer than the other?’ is closed to new replies.