Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone riding the new Nukeproof Mega?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Just wondered if there’s any real world views rather than gnarr reporter types from bike radar etc. Just wondered how it climbs for a 160 and if its as good downhill as the gnarr boys say.

northerntom
    Free Member

I haven’t, went to the demo day at Llandegla, but Nukeproof decided not to show up, really put me off. Especially as I have owned a 2014 mega since new and it’s been a great bike.

Review here outlines a lot:

Nukeproof Mega 290 Pro Review: slimmed down and bulked up

I’m still keen, speaking to guys in the industry, 29er ‘enduro’ bikes are likely going to be the next big thing. I suppose now everyone has invested in 27.5, the industry now want us to change again.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It was a 29er that won the recent EWS round in Ireland, mind 🙂 .

parling
    Free Member

I’ve had a go on the new mega and its every bit as good as the reviews say. Its not the lightest bike in the world but feels amazing to ride.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was thinking along the 27.5 type. Theres not that much written about it and it seems sold out in many of the sizes so they’ve either been more popular than originally thought or there is some manufacturing issues.

chakaping
    Free Member

They were getting a limited first drop of them IIRC?

Saw a lad on the lairy yellow one, it looked great.

northerntom
    Free Member

Doubt I would buy the 650b model, with so much else out there at a good price with similar spec. Would probably lean towards a Canyon, or YT. Especially as you can fit a bottle cage inside the frame on the mega.

Northwind

I had a demo on the 29er, it’s very good. Spec maybe a little wonky but the sizing and handling as as good as anything else out there. Very impressed.

parkstar
    Free Member

i borrowed the 29er at the aston hill demo day a few weeks ago, and i was skeptical to be honest. however it was excellent, modern geometry for reach and h/a completely disguised the fact it was a 29er, and i never found it to be lacking in tight corners/jumps etc. but it did carry speed and handle rough tracks with so much ease. if i was in the market for a new bike, i wouldnt hesitate to buy one.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had a quick the razz on 29er at Eastridge (I have a Scout 290). It’s pretty amazeballs (technical term).Even with a dodgy Monarch on it.

enigmas
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member
    It was a 29er that won the recent EWS round in Ireland, mind .

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

With Sam Hill in 2nd on a Mega 275 and flat pedals 😀

michaelmcc
    Free Member

With Sam Hill in 2nd on a Mega 275 and flat pedals

He loves flat pedals too much 😛 .

gelert
    Free Member

I just demo’d the Nukeproofs at Llandegla yesterday at the rearranged demo day. I really enjoyed them.

I rode the 275 and 290 Pro’s in Large. They were setup with Super Gravity tyres which definitely weigh considerably more than trail tyres and I have to give it up to Nukeproof for fitting those kind of tyres – other brands stick flimsy XC wheels and tyres on their AM bikes to make them ride faster at demo days.

The 275 weighed 13.8kg with pedals and the 290 was 14.1kg. Much lighter than I expected for them both.

I got setup on the bikes first. Playing about with suspension settings and tyre pressures until they felt right and did some jumps etc before doing the Demo loop as fast as I could (flat out).

I was 4s faster with the 290 than the 275 around the demo loop (both around 9m20 – right up there with my Santa Cruz Nomad demo loop time from last year). The 29er seemed to get hung up on bumps where the 275 rode through them better on the climb. When gravity took over the 29er felt faster but I actually did the final DH section in exactly the same time on both bikes – 2m31 Final Assault.

I had a bit of trouble getting the 290 to put weight on the front tyre and I’ve since read in reviews that you need to slam the stem to achieve the right balance.

The 275 felt extremely similar to my 2014 Alpine 160 (26 inch). The 275 felt like the closest riding bike to it that I’ve demoed.

I demoed both Nukeproofs then I took the 275 out for another spin because it was a lot of fun. With a “rest” and not doing the climb fast I put in a 2m26 on Final Assault with the 275.

I felt the 275 pedalled better than the 290. I had the feeling of more zip from the 275 and more traction on the climbs too. I’ve never had a 29er though. I wanted the 29er to blow me away but the 275 just felt better to me.

I then took my Alpine out and did the Demo loop on it for a proper comparison which I’ve never done before. I was 40s faster on my bike around the loop. I was 2m24 down the Final Assault section (without a stop!) and 8m41 overall time for the loop so a fair bit faster on the climb. My PR is 2:23 so stopping may or may not help me!

My Alpine weighs 13.45kg and it was in race mode. With SG tyres my Alpine is 13.8kg too.

I really enjoyed the Nukeproofs. Whether they’d be as bombproof reliable as my Alpine has been I don’t know.

There’s not quite enough difference for me to switch as my Alpine is still able to deliver the goods both up and down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding the new Nukeproof Mega?’ is closed to new replies.