Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Anyone ride MX or Twinshock MX?
  • SamCooke
    Free Member

Got my Maico 250 which gets an outing once in a while. Does that count?

tinsy
    Free Member

Poor quality pics as photos of photos on a not good phone camera.
    Suzuki RM100 B 1977

HAGON SUZUKI RM100 1979 (trick or what, Fox Shocks & all)

1983 RM125 (seem to be getting a face full of roost)

Pigface
    Free Member

Oooh Fox shocks in the trophy photo. Yes folks its where Fox started 😀 look for photos of Fox Cr 250 Elsinore for a thing of real beauty.

Crash and Burn was in Dirt Bike Magazine. The deputy editor was a guy called Paul Clipper who I met at the 6 days in 1983 and he gave me a bunch of stickers. I am still a sucker for stickers. A lot of Rick Seimens editorials under the name of Super Hunky are still around to read. His story of crashing at the LA Coliseum is still hysterical.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah the super hunky stuff is on the net, back then Dirt Bike mag was a truly treasured read, they had a crash & burn page each month but there were a few dedicated crash & burn mags, sadly I lent mine to someone & they didnt come back.

I see TMX is still going here in the UK, bought one the other day, still a dull read.

vinnyeh

His story of crashing at the LA Coliseum is still hysterical.

That’s when he broke his back?
    Funny the stuff that stays in your mind after years and years. 🙂
    Like this photo from the cover of Dirt Bike. I had a real hankering to try and recreate this, but a mixture of common sense and cowardice meant I never had a go..

MX was definitely the precursor of mt b.’s upgradeitis, driven largely by the yank mags. Single sided air boxes, boyesn reeds, those fork damper kits whatever they were called, safety ceets, integrated rear mudguards and number plates, Lectron carbs- the potential was endless.Those airshocks were pretty much out of favour soon as they came out though, heated up too much. I had Fox Factory Shox (the coil jobs) on one bike, and they were no better than the stock ones.

Pigface
    Free Member

Danny Magoo Chandler on the invisible Maico 😆

Such a tragedy what happened to him.

Yes it was where Super Hunky broke his back, his description of assuming the classic jumping position then his eyes assuming the classic position. He recovered so it is funny.

tinsy
    Free Member

Bah, trying to find that Super Hunky LA Crash article on the net, and not finding it. Wouldnt have a link to it would you?

klumpy
    Free Member

Loving the shots all you … “gents of significant experience” have of yourselves when younger and dumber on those two shock monsters. God knows how I’d have managed trying to lob one of those about.

Reminds me of On Any Sunday (I’ve got the DVD), the motocross bit is just amazing. You guys are probably all in it!? 😆

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Crash and Burn was in Dirt Bike Magazine.

DBM, that’s the one! 🙂

…back then Dirt Bike mag was a truly treasured read, they had a crash & burn page each month but there were a few dedicated crash & burn mags,

Ah yes, it all comes back to me now! 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Tinsy can’t find it either, his column was called In the saddle ( i think)

kilo

slightly o/t anyone ever had a pit bike like the crf70 here

http://www.welshpitbikes.co.uk/

was toying with one for messing around in some forests and lanes in Ireland. Don’t realy need a full size crosser

Pigface
    Free Member

Been following this and really enjoying it.

There is also another clip about Loretta Lynns where a guy is racing a 8 yr old KX that is worth watching.

benz
    Free Member

Mate’s dad still has a twin shock Maico 400 with alu angular fuel tank lying in his garage. Twin plugs in head if I remember correctly.

Used to play around on stripped down trail bikes until our Dad’s chipped together to buy a 495 Ktm for us. Must have been around 1984. Still get nightmares related to first ride. It was significantly different to the Dt175 and Er 250 we had been used to…….open throttle and hold on bet you could.

Never really been tempted by a bike since, but neighbour runs a neat 450 Ktm 4 stroke. He’s been doing events in uk and overseas so it’s an oddball being nos carb model. He wanted that for ease of fixing after issues with elects on his bigger 690. Sounds fantastic.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It was significantly different to the Dt175 and Er 250 we had been used to

Ah yes, I had a DT175MX from new. You could bend the forks just by showing it some rough ground! 😆

benz
    Free Member

Remember the introduction of the 125cc learner limit got us a very nice xr200r Honda too. Not mx obviously but it was a pukka toy.

It was far and away my favourite at the time. Easy to ride and with the lights could muck about well after dark.

When we became old enough to get a nifty 50 we stuck a crashed Ae80 motor, into muckers Ae50. Seemed to last a bit longer than the other lads who used the CDC malossi (think that is what they were called…long time ago) big bore kits and expansion chambers. I sense such things may no longer available.

Christ we must have been an anti-social bunch….

Funny how we still like chucking away standard and upgrading our bikes stil….

Pigface
    Free Member

DT 175 to KTM 495 is a very steep learning curve 😀

benz
    Free Member

Tell me about it……it got sold on fairly quickly…..our Dad’s realised the error of their ways and we were poo scared of it in reality.

Our Dad’s had different trades and barter was quite often the way for ‘homers’ they did. Recollect the Ktm came that way. We were fortunate to live in a fairly rural area and the local Policeman was a sound lad. Stern words and sent on our way if we strayed….kick up the x if we became too much of a pain.

Sure asbo ans social services would be the way now.

Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBguJMJFKw&feature=related

Enjoyed this clip about Loretta Lynns, Ricky Carmichael is racing again there this year.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride MX or Twinshock MX?’ is closed to new replies.