• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone ride a whyte t129?
  • adam82
    Free Member

Looking at buying one, does anyone find 120mn of travel restricting or am I being over cautious.
    Mainly for trail centres and the odd day in the peaks, would this be just the ticket?
    Was looking at the t130 also but was sold on getting a 29er rolling ability etc
    Thanks

welshfarmer

My brother has one and rode it this weekend at Llandegla, Coed y Brenin and Antur Stiniog. I did a run a run on it at Antur Stiniog and found it to be as comfy and forgiving as my 150/140 small wheel bike. Obviously I picked my lines a bit more carefully and “rode light” but it was fine. Brother was amazed how quick I rode it down. If that was the only tyrpe of riding I was planning it would not be my first choice but for more general trail duties I think it is a great bike. Whenever it goes uphill bro leaves us all standing.

cokie

I’ve got one (the SCR Works version) and it’s fantastic! It handles everything I could want. I’ve ridden BPW blacks, Cwmcarn, Afan & Gawton without too much bother. It wont be the quickest down but it’ll handle it fine. I’ve also ridden the bike on the Scott Monster Marathon and it was great. Love the short CS- they make the bike playful and the 29er roll-ability is a good match. I’d say it’s perfect for what you want. Just be aware of the poor tyre clearance at the back.

mastakillah
    Free Member

The T-129 is a great bike. Had mine a couple of years now. It’s a “Jack of all Trades” quick on open ground, playful and agile on the rougher stuff. It’s done Wales, Scotland and the lakes with zero issues. If your looking at one of the models with Whytes own wheels. Look at getting the wheels rebuilt with some better spokes, the ones them come with are pretty poor. Haven’t ridden it much on big days out since I bought my Remedy 29er though!

freddiest

Mine’s a great all round bike. Fast all over the trail. Much better after a wheel upgrade though so maybe something to look into in the future. Rubbish grips which I’ve changed and poor rear tyre clearance but a 2.25 ardent fits fine on my flow rim so can’t say it’s been much of an issue yet.

adam82
    Free Member

That all sounds good has anybody seen any deals on them at the moment?
    Was looking at a 2016 rs version

scandal42
    Free Member

I have a 2015 SCR and it rides like a beast. Really is an excellent riding bike.

Rear clearance isn’t great but I’m running 2.3 Gato and it’s fine. I’ve had mine up Snowdon, Cadair Idris, Peaks etc and it’s perfect for that type of riding.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Not many knocking around second hand, but you may get a good second hand deal?

failedengineer

I’ve had my T-129 Works for over 2 years now. It’s the first bike I’ve had that I haven’t felt the need to change anything. I did get rid of the dropper post straight away, though.
    I suppose if I was being hyper-critical, it would benefit from a beefier fork with a tad more travel.
    Yes, rear clearance is tight but I’ve been using 2.2 Purgatorys and they are as good an allrounder as I’ve ever had.
    The bearings are all still good, even the shock pivots.

mboy
    Free Member

Cokie up there owns my old one. Great bike, 2016 model has slightly improved tyre clearance too.

Deal still stands if you want one.

Don’t know if you knew, but there’s now a £2299 SCR model too. Yari fork, GX 1×11, own brand hubs on WTB rims, but otherwise same spec as the RS, and it’s in the awesome bright green…

http://whyte.bike/gb/t-129-scr/

EDIT: The reason not many are knocking around 2nd hand is twofold… 1) They’re an awesome bike, owners love them and tend to keep them. 2) Whyte don’t make them in huge numbers, meaning demand often outstrips supply.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a whyte t129?’ is closed to new replies.