Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Anyone ride a BMX (not doing tricks or anything fancy)
  • oddjob
    Free Member

My son wants to join our local BMX club and that got me thinking about the good old days with my BMX. I am sorely tempted to get a used Cruiser (BMX with 24″ wheels) so that we can go out playing together. At the moment he loves riding around the skate park on his bike and he turns 5 next week so he can start racing…

Sad Dad or cool Dad?

jedi

i ride bmx again 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

cool until he’s about 13, so go for it!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Sad Dad or cool Dad?

all bikes are cool. cool dad

_tom_
    Free Member

Cool Dad but 24″ cruisers are known for being a bit crap to handle compared to a proper bmx. Would probably be better off getting a 24″ street/park mtb like a NS or something like that. There’s always the Sunday Model C which is meant to handle like a real bmx but in a more comfortable size.

jedi

20″ bmx all the way

letmetalktomark

After many years fooling around on my BMX as a kid I fancied trying something similar again.

Sadly at 6′ 3”ish I could not justify a BMX 🙁 so cobbled together this:

Hopefully be a bit of fun 😉

My first proper bike circa 1986 is undergoing a full restoration…..

alex222
    Free Member

i ride bmx. just don’t go to the skate park very often, i find it quite unfriendly. going today though.

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ as well, hence the interest in the 24″ BMX. I like the look of that DMR a lot, but my wife will leave me and take the kids with her if I do anything extravagant at the moment, hence the interest in the (used) BMX…

Being really honest, I race on the road and XC, I am about as far as you can get from a BMX rider although it is where it all started and I did race BMX many many many years ago.

jedi

my mate atkins is 6-4 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

adult BMX racing, dare I say it, even Masters, is increasingly popular. High cadence and good bike control are always going to help in your other disciplines.

_tom_
    Free Member

That trailstar is awesome, looks like my first one!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a 21.7 top tubed BMX, feels great 🙂

Thinking of selling it and buying a 4X bike if your interested?

yossarian
    Free Member

i have a battered old diamondback that i take out with my eldest son when we ride along the beach (he’s 3 and a half and has a little islabike cnoc 14)

its good being at his height and fun to ride off little drops etc

plus he laughs his head off when I crash

letmetalktomark

@ tom – They could have been separated at birth 😆

juiced
    Free Member

i ride bmx. Recently i’ve been loving bmx tracks which have been nice and firm lately. I also have an old hack bmx for local shopping trips.I’ve had some fun at the skatepark too. 😆

oddjob
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon. Where are you and what is it?

yunki
    Free Member

definitely cool dad… As long as you can quickly get to grips with a couple of basic tricks..

i ride bmx. just don’t go to the skate park very often, i find it quite unfriendly.

we rocked up at a local bowl last year to try and re-live our youth a bit.. I failed miserably but my mate managed a couple of passable attempts..

The kids were more than friendly and offered plenty of advice and were very patient.. there was a few cool dads there too who were obviously very good in the past and not too shabby now.. they were also very very supportive..

jedi

corby session on then 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

i’m pretty skilless at the local skatepark’s but have always found them friendly places.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I recently noticed a photo on one of my old mates facebook pages. I used to ride bmx with him when i was a youngster. He was always way better than me and it looks like he has stuck at it.

His pictures were labelled old school reuninon and some of the stuff they are doing is pretty impressive. I was going to mail jedi and ask if he knew any of the guys on it because i think there are some pretty well known names in there (Not by me). Oh and these guys have a few grey hairs so age isnt really an issue

Curly68
    Free Member

My 7yr old daughter did her first BMX race yesterday after 3 coaching sessions. She loved it and got a medal for finishing!
    There are a load of dads in the seniors who race as their kids do and they are there, so may as well! Some are quick as well. I had a little bash on my ss hardtail which was vastly undergeared and didn’t embarass myself (well until I stacked it on a set of doubles!).
    Can be cheap as well. £2.50 race entry (3 moto’s and a final but plenty of prcatice), S/h cruiser £100 (if I want it but my hardtail is ok for local/regional races).
    Cool dad!

lyons
    Free Member

I have a deluxe bmx frame which i am hoping to sell soon, It would be fine for the skate parks, but better on the race track/ dirt jumps… They are a good british company, with a great reputation, and i’mn ot after alot for it. Hasnt been abused either.

Just like this – http://deluxebmx.com/product/frame/

RealMan
    Free Member

Took my 50 33 year old dad down my local bmx track. He enjoyed it, and looked much cooler then he does in his bloody yellow lycra tops on his road bike with a triple and mud guards, but he hasn’t taken it up since.

oddjob
    Free Member

“so young man, how did you get into BMX racing?”

“well my dad was looking for an excuse to buy another bike and the rest is history…”

Zedsdead
    Free Member

My kids all race, as do I. Although this year I missed out due to injuries and work.

Youngest daughter

Middle son

Oldest son

Can’t find any photos of me just now.

Anyhow, go along and have fun. I ride 20’s and cruiser. They are completely different. 20’s feel very twitchy when you first start on them but you get used to it. Going from them to a cruiser and the cruiser is like a barge lol. But it’s much more stable and carries a lot more speed. To be honest I love them both, 20’s are more exciting though.

The clubs are ace, it’s a good family sport and most people are cool. I help run a club and we offer all new comers their first 2 races for free as a taster. Most come back and have a great time.

kimbers

i got on sale at evans, its really good fun
    i did say i was gonna enter a race this year but never got round to it

dont ride it as much as i should but i put that down to moving house and diy 🙁

donks
    Free Member

My lad has just got into BMX which is fantastic as i have been blasting round our local skate park for over a year now on my MTB and i now have a legitimate excuse to be there. I am actually quite jealous of his BMX and now desperatly want one of my own. I have thought about the 24″ style but reckon i’ll opt for the 20″ as racing isnt my thing…..just want to do the tricks really. we spent some time at the local spot in MK (bus station) larking around and i was really impressed with some of the riding the lads are doing, oh how i wish i had stuck at it when i was young instead of playing bloody footy. 38 now so i hope i have a few years left in me before i am officially way too old for BMX.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m 6’2″ – and find 20″ bmx’s just a bit too scary compared to my mountain bikes.

my 24″ cruiser is lots of fun, cost me £200 new, and is by far my favourite bike. nothing else has helped me learn so much about bike handling so quickly.

oh and i’m 32. only been riding bmx for about 2 years.

zangolin
    Free Member

Cool Dad!
    My first BMX at age 45 – had to really – we got a big new fancy BMX track this year in Hereford. Great riding with my 2 eldest kids.

oddjob
    Free Member

So now all that remains to persuade Mrs Oddjob that it is a reasonable and rational investment to get one 😈

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Country bikes park frame
    Odessey forks
    PrimoPro stem
    Demolition seat, post and clamp
    Element cassette hubs (14mm)
    Alex rear rim, Proper front
    Hombre brake
    Shadow conspiracy sprocket
    27-13 gearing
    Either 2 slick park tyres (odessey and a kenda, both well worn) or a maxxdaddy front for dirt.

Don’t know what bars and cranks are.

The frames were something silly like 800 euros new and the rest is mid range kit, its 5 years old IIRC and looks it, but mechanicaly I couldnt name any faults with it, would take £180 posted or £170 collected.

mark_b
    Free Member

Couldn’t find a bmx big enough so i have this instead – now i spend more time riding bmx tracks and skate parks than my kids
    😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, got to have a go at BMX. been riding for about 2.5 years now and love it. Wish I had more time to ride though and lived near other likeminded people / indoor skatepark.

If I had a son who was into it I’d be leading the way! Unfortunately I have two girls and they aren’t that keen.

Enjoy!

PS – 20inch all the way!

ianv
    Free Member

While we are on with BMX’s are there any shops other than winstanleys and Alans, preferably in west yorkshire, that sell mini/micro (7-8 yrs)BMX race bikes.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

http://www.asvsport.co.uk/

The owner is Kenny Hunter, a nice bloke and will be happy to sort you out. As well as the stuff on his site he may be able to source other manufacturers too. Give him a call, he’s a one man operation and very friendly and helpful.

Chase
    Free Member

Here is my GT Fueler. It’s a 1996 model I think. Back when it was new…..

….and now….

Saw a lot of use over the years. Not so much now, but still gets a spin occasionally. There’s no point getting rid of it as my son will get it eventually, although at 30lb it’s a heavy bugger for a 10 year old.

It’s probably not ‘down with the kids’ either. The saddle is too high and it has a brake.

Here it is been put to good use. This kind of stuff is beyond me now….

And ignoring the skinny jeans, one can only aspire to ever riding like this…

TiRed

Bought a Kink Whip at the Cycle Show. Ex demo, 25% off, signed by the Kink riders. It’s for the boys (honest), but is light, rides beautifully and I will be trying it at the park when the kids aren’t around. It’s a bit small for me really (20.5″). Oh and I fell off my Airnimal on a ramp playing on Saturday evening with the boys.

Never had one as a child…Boys want to take it to Swinley.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

There are 22″ bikes too – my mate has one and loves it. I’ve had a go and I have to say, it is pretty darn good too.

jedi

why would you post that on this thread.
    healing vibes tj.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a BMX (not doing tricks or anything fancy)’ is closed to new replies.