Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Lairig Dhoireann?
  • JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Planning some camp biking, er, bike camping but struggling to collect any info on this high pass between Glen Strae and Glen Kinglass (NN 160399).

Is it rideable(downhill at least)? Is there a path at all?

Cheers,

D

rickmeister

Have gou Google Earth or Geograph ‘ ed it ?

Druidh will be along in a short while I guess…

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Should’ve thought of that! Can’t see much of a path from the google satrelights.

Looks like it would be a long push into the wilds.

Spin
    Free Member

My top tip is to look at photos on http://www.geograph.org.uk/ to check paths.

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Cheers Spin. A couple of pics on there but no sign of anything rideable.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint you Rick, but this is one I don’t know.

I do, however, recall someone on STW posting about it some time back (probably pre-hack) to the extent that it should be avoided.

And I found this quote online

I headed up Glen Strae, then turned onto the path up the Allt Dhoirrean. This “path” is evidence that somebody at the Ordnance Survey has a rather twisted sense of humour. In the lower reaches of the valley there is a vaguely discernible track; but as one heads up towards the Lairig Dhoireann there is little if anything to say “walk this way”. It is just a hillside, and a stream; and you point yourself at the lowest point of the skyline and walk towards it. Or at least, that’s what I did …

JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Thanks Druidh, couldn’t find anything that descriptive. Pity there’s no path as would make a nice loop from Bridge of Orchy. Might just go anyway and enjoy the misery of a bog-push for a few km. If I do I’ll post back my findings.

This “path” is evidence that somebody at the Ordnance Survey has a rather twisted sense of humour

This is fairly often the case, must be a funny place to work OS. Part of the adventure I suppose, can be anything from decent LRT to peat hags without trace of a path.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden the Lairig Dhoireann?’ is closed to new replies.